What motor oil are you running in your Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Do you have a source for your claim of Advance filters being rebranded Wix? They seem more the type to rebrand a POS. I Know Napa is rebranded Wix.
I stand corrected. The "advance Auto filter" I use is the purolatorboss. Not rebranded at all. Don't know where I got that notion from.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I stand corrected. The "advance Auto filter" I use is the purolatorboss. Not rebranded at all. Don't know where I got that notion from.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure I wasn't cutting myself out of any good oil change deals.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the Microgaurd filter at Oriellys, it shares the same part number as Wix. Is it a rebrand or something lesser?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just personal preference then, and oil analysis cost money too, but you never know when there was a bad batch or an off addative even from factory. Kinda like gambling i guess. I don't gamble , my oil provider says they suggest changing at 3k or 3 months like most oil manufacturers do. I prefer safe and just change it and KNOW my engine is safe ya know. Have lots of other things on my truck is rather spend cash on besides a crate engine or my time putting one in if I got sum faulty oil or something dumb happens. To each thier own I guess, but I know my **** is good how I do it. I spend $27 every 3k on oil and filter and get to look my truck over on the hoist while I'm doing it and k ow EVERYTHING is good. I think my biggest issue with going that long vs 3 or 5k is ppl neglect to look everything else over like u r supposed to when you do an oil change. On our trucks everything is starting to get pretty old and needs greased and lubed and looked over and waiting 25k between changes means there is very little chance anyone is gonna roll under thier truck to inspect and check **** inbetween oil changes .

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Very good point! I was trained (thanks Dad!) to look at everything underneath the vehicle and under the hood when doing maintenance or repairs. If you're looking at it frequently, then you can see what it's supposed to look like and see if something has changed or if something is wrong. Obviously easier on a lift but can be done in the driveway too

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just personal preference again, I wouldn't buy a wix filter to save my life! We use champ at our shop, a wix is 4 times the price as champ and they look exactly the same inside , even after extended use lol. We ha e cut em open and inspected about every brand filter . But like most things everyone had thier preferences. Just cause it costs more does not mean it's automatically better .

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spend $130 every 25k miles and that includes 6 quarts, 2 filters and a used oil analysis. You spend $225 every 25k miles with no used oil analysis.

Not trying to ruffle more feathers but I KNOW whats going on inside my engine at EVERY oil change. If I start to see trends in the oil analysis I will change my habits. I like numbers instead of feelings.

Nah an oil change costs me $16 ( oil and filter ) and a few beers , I get to 3 months before 3k miles. So about $65 a year on oil changes...but we buy bulk lol

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just personal preference again, I wouldn't buy a wix filter to save my life! We use champ at our shop, a wix is 4 times the price as champ and they look exactly the same inside , even after extended use lol. We ha e cut em open and inspected about every brand filter . But like most things everyone had thier preferences. Just cause it costs more does not mean it's automatically better .

So you're saying a Wix is an e-core like a Champion Labs?

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're saying a Wix is an e-core like a Champion Labs?
Look the same inside , haven't cut a wix apart for the vortec tho so idk if it's same for every application. Was off a Toyota compared to a ph2867 (or 2876 ) in champ.