What mods can $1000 do for a 1998 Vortec 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually on the fence now about an ls swap. I really only want about 320-350 rwhp and that is very doable with a vortec.

If you end up doing these things pretty soon give us a report on how you like it.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I'll be sure to let you know how things turn out. I'm in the process of getting my Black Bear tune first. (yeah, I know, completely out of order, but oh well) I'll let you know how it works.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really, in fact, some would argue the tune should be first. On a completely stock truck they can pull 15-20hp. And it will only better support your other mods as they come. Also with free updates how can you go wrong.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Not really, in fact, some would argue the tune should be first. On a completely stock truck they can pull 15-20hp. And it will only better support your other mods as they come. Also with free updates how can you go wrong.

15-20hp?! :Whoa:

That's reassuring!

I've already e-mailed Black Bear a couple of questions that I had, but am still waiting for a reply (I gave it over the weekend, so I probably won't get one until later this week) since I do not fully understand the tune quite yet. I will go with the computer-cable tune if it will work on my truck...I think that it should.

I understand that there will only be one setting once I am done with it, unlike one of those performance chip things that give you multiple settings (mileage, performance, etc.), so do I have them rig it up for performance or for mileage and be stuck with one setting? Or AM I able to reprogram it with saved settings if I keep the cable (- my $$$)? Would those same horsepower increases apply to the 'mileage' tune?

If you don't know the answers to any of this, no problem, I'll just wait to hear back from them. They'll probably take their time because they don't like having to answer the same stupid questions over and over again.

Oh- and if I have them tune out the 02 senser, I can just stick on TBI long tube headers, can't I? Instead of the newer ones which cost a few hundred $$$ more?

You don't have the BB tune, so maybe you don't know how it works completely either...but you seem to know alot more than me already, so I just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
15-20hp?! :Whoa:

That's reassuring!

I've already e-mailed Black Bear a couple of questions that I had, but am still waiting for a reply (I gave it over the weekend, so I probably won't get one until later this week) since I do not fully understand the tune quite yet. I will go with the computer-cable tune if it will work on my truck...I think that it should.

I understand that there will only be one setting once I am done with it, unlike one of those performance chip things that give you multiple settings (mileage, performance, etc.), so do I have them rig it up for performance or for mileage and be stuck with one setting? Or AM I able to reprogram it with saved settings if I keep the cable (- my $$$)? Would those same horsepower increases apply to the 'mileage' tune?

If you don't know the answers to any of this, no problem, I'll just wait to hear back from them. They'll probably take their time because they don't like having to answer the same stupid questions over and over again.

Oh- and if I have them tune out the 02 senser, I can just stick on TBI long tube headers, can't I? Instead of the newer ones which cost a few hundred $$$ more?

You don't have the BB tune, so maybe you don't know how it works completely either...but you seem to know alot more than me already, so I just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.

hehe, I just read and dream a lot, so most my knowledge is from forums just like this.

From what I understand what some guys do is get an 87 octane mileage tune, and get a ballz out 93 octane tune loaded into the Tow/Haul mode (I believe your truck has that). That way you have the ability to do either. As for the TBI longtubes vs Vortec's this was my plan also if I keep my vortec so I sure hope it works that way :D.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Tow/Haul mode...... :uhoh2:

If I have it, I don't know what or where it is.... unless you mean 3rd, 2nd or 1st gear as opposed to overdrive. If so, that would be kind of cool if all that I had to do was shift down- except that I wouldn't have 'power mode' in overdrive...so I'm assuming that it doesn't work that way. :lol: Other than that, I just have 2wd, 4 High and 4 Low.

:hmm: Maybe where you heard of the Tow/Haul mode was from someone who already had a chip in their truck and Black Bear tuned the computer AND the chip...that would be neat if that was how they did it.

Does your Tahoe have a Tow/Haul mode? (maybe I just don't know what it is)

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No my tahoe doesn't but I thought the 98+ 4x4s got it. It would be a button on the dash or on the end of the gear selector. Be kinda hard to miss so you probably don't have it. That may be a NBS thing. The wife's '03 has it but I'm not sure what year they actually started.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah, my 98 doesn't have tow/haul so it would just be one program unless you want different tunes on mulitple computers that you could just swap out

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Yeah, my 98 doesn't have tow/haul so it would just be one program unless you want different tunes on mulitple computers that you could just swap out

Yep, I've looked around and asked a couple of people... one tuning option.... which don't really matter too much, because there's not much that can go wrong.

Better mileage (potentially)
More HP
Should be more Torque
Smoother gear changes
Recalibrated speedometer
Free tunes from now on???

Yeah, I think I'm sold. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
The tow/haul mode is activated when a wire on the 411 pcm is grounded. It can be wired to a switch on the dash. If I remember right it just selects which of the two sets of maps to use. The stock PCM does not have this mode, thus the swap.

The swap also allows for better boost tuning and higher rpm range.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2