What mods can $1000 do for a 1998 Vortec 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Hey, all!

I have a 1998 GMC with a 5.7 Vortec that is pretty much stock. All that I have done to it is stick in a K & N Filter (which actually did raise my mileage by 3/4 of a gallon, to my surprise) and stick true dual exhaust on it with glass packs and tips. The engine has 132,000 miles on it and I don't feel like swapping it out for anything else. (a 5.3 for example)

My goal is to get into the 325-350 hp range and I'm wondering what would be the most cost efficient way to get there. I have about $800 to $1000 that I could stick into it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, or even people who have done a similar job posting what they did.

I'm sort of new to all of this stuff, but I am trying to learn as fast as I can. My dad has a small shop and has done a lot of rebuilding of his own engines (carbs, not computerized), so I would not need to take my truck to a shop for anything.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ thats not happening for $1000

probably you best bet would be call black bear and get data cable, send it in and have them build you a custom tune

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LT4 cam, headers, cat back exhaust, black bear tune might push the budget a bit but I think 325 RWHP is very attainable with that list.

edit: noticed you have glass pack duals, swap the cats for high flow units instead of cat back since you already have less restrictive exhaust.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks like a good list you guys got going here. I was blown away by the nearly-instant results! Thanks guys!

Two things were common: Black Bear tune and a Cam swap.

All of those listed look like good ideas! I was already thinking about a cam, but was not sure what kind to get. You answered that question. The BlackBear tune was also something I was thinking about, and you confirmed that as well.

I know just the guy to get some high flow cats from too :D

The one thing that I am not so sure about is the headers...I've heard a lot about them, good and bad. (more bad than good, especially when it came to melting things) How much horse would I add if I stuck on headers? (I'm sure I could find some used ones somewhere...heck, my dad just pulled some off his '74 GMC because they melted his spark plugs wires. He swapped them out with the exhaust on a parked '94 burb. Yep, they interchanged, even after twenty years. I love GM!)

Do you have any ideas what the LT4 cam would cost? (i'd stick it in myself)

Or the Black Bear tune? (unfortunately, that's something I'd have to have someone else do)

Thanks again for the quick response guys! I might get this in budget yet... it'd be a summer project.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LT4 cam will be <$300
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502586/SuggestedParts/?prefilter=1
edit: do some more research than just me on swapping this cam in. There might be something else needed to do like a certain chain set or something idk

Can't use just any SBC headers on a 96-98 vortec, you will need tbi headers and have the extra o2 sensor bungs welded in, or vortec specific headers which can go 300-500 alone, a mail order tune from BB is also <$300 I think, but just google them and get on there site for a quote. Only reason I haven't already done it is because I still have dreams of an LSx swap next year...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/P...r|1997|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|TAHOE&prefilter=1

Here is some painted ones for under 300

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
You rock. Thanks for all of your tips. You have been extremely helpful to me. Good luck on your LSx swap! And all of your other upgrades! (I'm working on the guts of my truck first...once I'm done there, the outside gets monetary attention.)

So:

$300 on the cam.
$300 on the tune. (give or take some)
$300 on the headers

As for the high-flow cats I'm not sure so sure yet, I still have to talk to the dude who can stick them on for me...so really, this dream isn't completely unrealistic. I might be a little overbudget, but oh well. That was half expected.

I read a little bit on the BB tuning site...they say free tunings for the rest of the vehicle's life, so that is cool. If I didn't stick on the headers until next year, I can get it tuned now and not worry about it.

Last edited:

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id say the tune is $300, because they refund the $100 for the record cord

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Sooo..... I've read about people swapping out for a 0411 PCM computer... is that a good idea and what are the benefits? Does it just make the engine more tunable?

EDIT: Sorry about that post ^ I think I found what I needed by looking around a little bit.

Last edited: