What is the strongest driver side drop mechanical shift transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norbybmx

Reaction score
So I'm building a 93 crew long with a 12 mildly build 12 valve like 700 ish ft pounds, mated to a ZF6. currently I have a BW 4401 case and a np 271 case in my shop. iv been having a hard time finding info on what case is more durable. I'm also open to other options of transferases. The goal here is reliability, and no electronics. I dont want to use an electric shift case. Any one out here have any experience with what case holds up the best.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
271 or 241? The BW cases came in the 1 ton trucks, so as far as what came stock the BW was it. But I think the chassis cab trucks got something different, so you could look into that as well.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a BW case in my 90 F250HD diesel pickup. It was a beast. The only issue with them was, when the chain stretched it would take out the pump suction tube and grenade the innerds.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The BW4401 seem to be plenty robust, especially since they were in the heaviest trucks available at the time. I couldn't really find much information on them last I checked though.

NP205 is probably one of the strongest TC out there, and I believe they came in both passenger and driver side drop.

Still, it looks like the NP271 is stronger:

norbybmx

Reaction score
yah 205 is a valid option, and I like that case as well. The only thing I wasn't too sure about is the bw4401 trucks were only rated to tow like 11k if you go by the book, and the np 271 came in the 04 ford 350 was rated to tow like 21k if I remember right. I dont plan on towing some decent weight with this thing. Any one had experience towing heavy with the BW 4401. I would be easier for me to use the BW since i have two and I dont have to mess with the speedo situation.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
yah 205 is a valid option, and I like that case as well. The only thing I wasn't too sure about is the bw4401 trucks were only rated to tow like 11k if you go by the book, and the np 271 came in the 04 ford 350 was rated to tow like 21k if I remember right. I dont plan on towing some decent weight with this thing. Any one had experience towing heavy with the BW 4401. I would be easier for me to use the BW since i have two and I dont have to mess with the speedo situation.

Bear in mind that the t-case is unlikely to be the thing that held back the tow rating.

Rschap

Reaction score
I am just finishing up my rebuild on a 4401 and I have been having a hell of a time finding info and parts on this case. I called the dealer this morning to try and find a speed sensor ring on the output shaft and it's been discontinued. I asked him why I was having so much trouble when the case was used for so many different years and he said they weren't breaking down often enough for people to work on them. I imagine most people aren't tearing it up off road in a 3500 like they do in the 1500s but still. I don't know if that helps.

The shift fork on mine wore out and it was stuck in 4 low, when I took it apart everything else was in really good condition, like almost new. 215k on the truck and it was used primarily to haul a big boat and a gooseneck camper before I bought it and I use to to haul my slide in camper and raft trailer around the mountains of Colorado. It's been ridden hard and aside from the fork it's in really good shape. I replaced the seals and bearings, the fork and shift hub and I'm right around $200. Don't jack up that speed sensor ring if you tear into it though, even ebay doesn't have it. I did scar mine but I'm going to have to clean it up and reuse it. I don't know anything about the other case you mention but thought my experience with this one might help. Good luck on your build.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am just finishing up my rebuild on a 4401 and I have been having a hell of a time finding info and parts on this case. I called the dealer this morning to try and find a speed sensor ring on the output shaft and it's been discontinued. I asked him why I was having so much trouble when the case was used for so many different years and he said they weren't breaking down often enough for people to work on them. I imagine most people aren't tearing it up off road in a 3500 like they do in the 1500s but still. I don't know if that helps.

The shift fork on mine wore out and it was stuck in 4 low, when I took it apart everything else was in really good condition, like almost new. 215k on the truck and it was used primarily to haul a big boat and a gooseneck camper before I bought it and I use to to haul my slide in camper and raft trailer around the mountains of Colorado. It's been ridden hard and aside from the fork it's in really good shape. I replaced the seals and bearings, the fork and shift hub and I'm right around $200. Don't jack up that speed sensor ring if you tear into it though, even ebay doesn't have it. I did scar mine but I'm going to have to clean it up and reuse it. I don't know anything about the other case you mention but thought my experience with this one might help. Good luck on your build.
Well, that's good to know. They don't seem to fail, but parts are scarce... :confused:

The shift fork inserts I believe are common wear and tear items on most transfer cases. The speed sensor ring...that's the reluctor ring/gear that the speed sensor reads off, right?

Last edited: