NP 241C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Running into a little problem. Recently when when I shift from drive/reverse into park (on any kind of incline, causing the truck to roll a tad bit forward or backwards) there's a god awful "popping" noise coming from what I believe to be the transfer case and the truck proceeds to hop in what ever direction it began rolling in. Lock it in 4-low just creeping around the yard, gave it a little bit of gas and the transfer case popped out of 4-low into neutral also. The noise it kind of hard to put into words. Jacked the rear end up today with the truck in neutral, when I go to turn the rear drive shaft its definitely got a good bit play in the transfer case. I know the NP 241C is chain driven. What I can gather from the research I've done the shift fork's in the transfer case have nylon/plastic guides that are known for wearing out. Are those the common issues with the NP 241C? My question is could the pad's and a wore out chain be the cause of the play? Is this a situation where I could order the guides/possibly the shift forks/chain/seals and pull it tear it down and rebuild it or is it one of those situation's where I need to pull it, open it up then go to ordering part's? My dilemma is it's the only way I have of going for the next few week's. Luckily I've got a 5 mile round trip to and from work. Just trying to get a game plan together. Any insight is gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• Truck transfercase.jpg
    Truck transfercase.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 7