what do I have to replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckyB

Reaction score
I bought a 93 GMC sub that has very little rust on the skins. I got to driving it for a bit and looking into the small motor issues, but at 56 miles the tranny pump whent out. I verrified that by going down the check list and yup, the fluid lvl dosen't change. I was just wondering since I must change the pump, I would be smart to do a rebuild on it. But are there any issues that a pump fragging that should be looked at ( IE: damage, steel going where it should not go, Ect). It is a 1993 1500k 4WD GMC Suburban with about 251 K on the odometer. Any help or ideas would be greatly aprecatied. Sorry about the Coors spelling =)

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
yeah, id have t osay to do a rebuild, since it wouldnt be worth going into it.. then 10K down the road it blows up for some dumb reason?

ChuckyB

Reaction score
thank you for the advice so far. I was trying to figgure out how to rebuild it with resonable upgrades. I look at what can be done with these trans and it gets verry impressive and my man mind is like "YHEA, BIGGER, BETTER, MORRREE. But then in comes Momma ( wife ) with the reality that I just need it to get through a few drifts in winter and to take the boys camping. What are the best upgrades in reliability to the tranny being rebuilt. IE:(Beast sun shell) how often dose the OEM part fail,(Corvet servos), it would seem to me that the extra clamping force would extend the life of the clutches. I was a 63HM5 (Track Veichael Mechanic) back in the 90's, but the things I worked on were not quite the thing I'm playing with now =) Guide me on my way in this silly suburban world. lol