What cam should I go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hey guys, a bit long of a read, lots of info.

Some of you might have me on the Fecesbook and have seen that I have plans to build a motor for the truck in a few years. My plan is to give my little sister my truck to use in high school, BUT, that's not for another two years, and my motor build won't start until she graduates and gets her own car, so we'll say about 6 years at the longest.

The motor in the truck now is very solid. Rebuilt and bored over, no leaks, no knocks, basically runs great (except for a little ignition problem i'll have fixed this week). A few months ago, I had a Thrush Welded muffler put on, and a cat delete with 3" piping. Sounds awesome, BUT, not quite awesome enough for me. I want a lopey idle like people with big cams have. Austin suggested the Thumpr (comp cams) on Fecesbook, BUT, I want a cam that's gonna give me more high end torque than low end (my truck is geared at 3.42 and has 31"s so it can chirp the tires in 2nd).

What would you guys recommend I go with if I wanted a little extra high end torque (think tow pig, not race truck), lopey sound, and won't annihilate my mileage? I understand a cam like that is inevitably going to kill my mileage a bit, but It's a full size truck, and i wouldn't mind losing an mpg or two, but how much are we talking exactly?

The motor is stock other than an injector pod spacer and lid flip, 700r4 trans, 3.42 with gov-bomb. Just trying to throw some info out.

Oh, and I should mention that I don't mind getting a chip burned, I know the stock chip can only handle so much without the idle going haywire. One of my idiot buddies with a '94 rcsb put a HUGE cam and didn't tune, and his mileage went to complete **** and was almost undriveable.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to any info you guys have.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You say high end torque (think tow pig not racetruck). That would be low end torque. I think a cam with an rpm range of around 1800-3200 or so would be perfect for you. Choppy cams give you higher rpm power.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Are you wanting to stick with a flat tappet cam or do you want to convert to roller? Do you want to stick with the stock torque converter?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Are you wanting to stick with a flat tappet cam or do you want to convert to roller? Do you want to stick with the stock torque converter?

Everything is stock, stock TC, and I think I'll stick with flat tappet, since the Thumpr is available in both and I don't want to convert lifters and such. I do need valve springs, though.