What brand fpr and fuel pump for Vortec 7400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAPTNDAVIE

Reaction score
As the title states, what brand fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump is recommended for the Vortec 7400 454? I did injectors and fpr from fiveomotorsports about 4 years ago and did fuel pump with AC Delco around the same time. Looking at changing them again and want to make sure I get good parts. I was planning on using Delphi.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Delphi, I've used them for lots of OE type parts on these trucks. Problem is with Delphi and AC Delco these days it's almost always gonna be China just like any other brand, so what you're banking on is that Delphi is demanding higher QC from China vs. Airtex brand or whatever other junk, and it's -usually- the case.

For the regulator I went with Standard Motor Products which at the time was US-made but that was a few years back.

Be sure you have some fuel-rated line to replace the vacuum line to the regulator so it doesn't crack/fail prematurely; you probably already know you have to split the intake to reach it for replacement. Under normal circumstances obviously there's no actual fuel in there but since it's drawing vacuum right off the plenum you've got fuel vapor.

Richard

CAPTNDAVIE

Reaction score
Thanks Richard! I used your write up to do the fpr and injector change. That was a huge help!!! I changed my fuel pump and am holding pressure now. So hopefully I will not have to change the fpr again. I put a standard motor products for in it about 4-5 years ago with Lucas injectors from fiveomotorsports. I am still getting no start and I think I may have had some bad fuel in my lines. Changes the fuel filter first and what came out of it was nasty. Battery is weak and needs replacing now but I have had it on boost on the charger when I try to start and still no luck. Pulled one plug and was getting spark. I'm not sure where to go from here. Also I had a pending egr code but that was all.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a Delphi fuel pump and FPR's when I changed them.

Is it just cranking and cranking? Have you tried starting fluid to rule out fuel?

Lucas injectors?

CAPTNDAVIE

Reaction score
I think they are Lucas. It was whatever fiveomotorsports had listed at the time for my application. Everybody else it seems had used Bosch from them but they where showing these for it when I did mine 4-5 yrs ago.

Pressure on the fuel rail yesterday was 55 with key on fuel pump running and dropped to 50 when pump shut off. Held pressure and after a few minutes would slowly start to drop. I left gauge hooked up overnight. This morning gauge would not come off zero until I bled it and cycled key several times. Suburban is in an unheated shop and it got down in the 20's last night. This afternoon the gauge was still slow to come up and it never made it up to 50/55 psi. I didn't mess with it much today. I did put my hand on the distributor to make sure it is not loose. Back when I did all the work 4-5 yrs ago; I changed fpr(standard motor), fuel pump, plugs, wires, and distributor(accel billet distributor), lower intake gasket and valve cover gaskets. I did notice today that there seems to be a oil leak from the rear main seal area. I haven't noticed it before but my hydroboost leaks so it could have been an ongoing leak. I'm not sure what to check next and am about ready to pull out what hair I have left.

CAPTNDAVIE

Reaction score
And it will crank and crank but will not start. It will occasionally spit and sputter a little like it wants to try and start. But it wil not start.

Last edited:

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the PCV hose, under the throttle body or on the driver's side, and spritz some in there, then try starting.

CAPTNDAVIE

Reaction score
No luck with starting fluid. I had to swap batteries yesterday.

Next on my list is check each plug and wire, check distributor rotor and compression check.