Adjustable FPR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought ol Smoky one of first things I did was replace the fuel pump and filter. I've always tried to remove fuel filters without shaking them to much then after getting them off shaking the crap out of them and dumping them out through the inlet side to see how much crap is in them. Well when I shoock Smoky's filter I could hear the element rattling around inside and when I dumped it pure black crud poured out,I mean a lot! I knew right then that the injector screens were probably clogged and the engine has been running kinda flat.
The other day I bought a TB kit and rebuilt it yesterday. I knew I had to reset the fuel pressure so today I modified the adjuster so it can be easily adjusted with an allen wrench.

First I had to cut the blob of braze GM seals the adjuster screw with,
You must be registered for see images attach

I used a 5/16" end mill and ran it in until it cut the braze away. On this one it was .350" down from the surface. After cutting the braze away I used a small hammer and drift to tap the adjuster screw and collar out.
These are those pieces,

I chucked up the adjuster screw and drilled and tapped a #8-32 hole,1/4" deep,

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 2

With some measurements I determined a 1" long screw would bring the head almost even with the underside of the TB flange.

I threaded the adjuster screw back onto the collar,dropped it in place then tightened the #8-32 screw in with a drop of red loctite. Here it is with the regulator reassembled.

Here it is installed in the TB,

Had to go and fancy it up with a fuel pressure tap to make it easier to install a gauge.

Yeah,I know,it's a Ford part but it fit in the space I had. Don't beat me up too bad. I will replace that metal cap with a plastic one. Don't want that vibrating off and going through the motor.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next regulator project is going to be a VRFPR housing that attaches where the stamped steel one is now. I think I can make a tee with a short piece of vacuum hose that goes up through the hole in the TB flange. I'll be saving that for my 454 TB that will be going on my 355.