1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he said his were from an 88... but he had mentioned older when referencing what his Dad told him to get.....
There's two versions of those valve covers, that I know of.

Some are centerbolt, like your link/photo. Some have the four perimeter bolts.

I've had both styles on my '88 K1500; depending on which cylinder heads were installed at the time.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had brought up in the lounge that there's a young guy who works at Autozone that has a 95 gmt...He let me look at at and he fired up the truck.
It was then I realized how broken mine sounded...lol
I swear the exhaust drowned out any sound of the motor it was so quiet. And the exhaust wasn't obnoxious, just nice tone. Same motor as mine..no vortec...
He has the Vette valve covers....

Looking around just for kicks of course..lol, I see some of them don't have the deflector shields under the openings. Those must be important I'm sure... I see the deflectors here

I think he said his were from an 88... but he had mentioned older when referencing what his Dad told him to get.....
Seems many of that style VC are cast magnesium and seems all have little to no room for any roller rockers.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Much confusion over the lifter rebuild process. Mixed up, dropped pieces, etc. I'm wondering if by chance they didn't end up in the original bores on the same lobes. kind of hate to see someone spend on lifters, marry them to the cam and then find a cam bearing journal issue making the new lifters useless. Bearing material is not magnetic. Sometimes digging in is the better method. Once something starts making metal shavings they don't fix themselves.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mixed up, dropped pieces, etc
Dropped a check ball and the check ball spring was hiding in the main spring . But this was for 1 lifter. No mixed up pieces.
I'm wondering if by chance they didn't end up in the original bores on the same lobes
Anything is possible since I was burning the candle at both ends but I'm pretty sure everything is ok. Only thing I feel like could have happened is a couple of the metering discs may have been installed the wrong way . But it would be for the same lifter.

find a cam bearing journal issue making the new lifters useless
Yeah... My oil glitter happened before cleaning the lifters but after my first ever valve adjustment that was not correct. Little concerned something may have happened then. But it could have been an issue from before everything and I didn't notice. Feel pretty strong it happened after the first adjustment though...
Sometimes digging in is the better method. Once something starts making metal shavings they don't fix themselves.
At the minumum, I'm not doing lifters until the cam is pulled. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to see from that as it relates to the cam bearings? But It seems the easiest next step.

Also Thinking of dropping the pan after at some point and looking at the main bearings if that's possible...
Pretty big projects for me so, it's not going to be tomorrow unfortunately...but the next oil change will most likely be the match that lights the fire..
Even then, , it's looking pretty much one direction from what I understand......

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just looking over the thread and see that, after my virgin valve adjustment when I screwed everything up, I had driven oot and came back. Goofed around with more adjustments. Driven more. Got some cut up rocker covers... Then made more adjustments. Was pretty knowledgeable about adjustments at this point. Was advised to change oil since I hadn't done it since my initial adjustments and intake gasket replacement in the beginning.
At this oil change, there was no note of strange swirls in the oil for whatever that's worth.

Then I did more adjustments, took good notes of turns, etc...thought I had things going good but kept getting taps at startup. Chasing my tail with preload settings...
For some reason, things ended up super noisy at one point. I decided to put things at tdc and noticed some rockers had major lash? Not sure that's supposed to ever happen?

Anyway, after this, I did a cold adjustment doing shurkey's method and got everything going pretty good...did more running adjustments.....still getting taps at startup....
Was advised to change oil to make sure anti-drainback wasn't an issue..... changed oil, and this is when I noticed the streaks....

Everything slamming around from all the loose adjustments?...idk....rislone and switch to synthetic and different weights?? things operating in different ranges...??
Just trying to find clues and note....
Keeping in mind there is always the possibility I just never paid much attention but, I've been looking at oil/fluids instinctively for as long as I can remember so feel pretty good it's a recent development that has occurred somewhere along this journey...coincidence?sure....
I mean my fuel pump starting to go bad surely isn't related and it's happening now so anything is possible....
Hate to change oil so soon again... not many miles on this most recent change yet.........