What bolts to use with longtube headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k15 5.7l

Reaction score
Hey, I recently installed long tube headers on my 1996 k1500 5.7. The problem Im having is that the bolts are hard to get tight due to the holes being so close to the primary tubes. I am using both allen wrench head bolts and standard head bolts. Any ideas on what to do?

THanks,
Greg

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use stage 8 locking header bolts. Yes it's a tight fit. I cut the shorter end of the Allen wrench off, or you can use a ball end allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the small header bolts with the 3/8 head? I dont think I've ever had headers where all the bolts were the same. Gonna have to use the small header bolts on the holes close to the primary tubes. Get a wrench you dont care about and bend it to fit your needs.

The ball end allen mentioned above gets in some pretty tight spots.

k15 5.7l

Reaction score
Btw ended up using arp bolts with 3/8 head and .75in long. worked perfect. was able to use all the same bolts also.

Greg

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
I'd like to find some 3/8" studs and some flanged stover nuts, that would be leaps and bounds better. I suppose a fellow could use all thread but I'd like something a bit more cleaner looking.

yodertoter

Reaction score
What headers did you use? Did you keep your egr or delete it?

senja

Reaction score
Ditto - I started out with the small, 3/8 12 point X 3/4 long., The problem is it's really difficult to tighten the 12 point bolt. Everything was fine except 3 bolts that I couldn't get a socket on, let alone the ratchet wrench. I ended up turning down the O.D. of the socket just to be able to put the socket on the bolt head. And then I couldn't get the ratchet wrench into the socket. Finally used an end wrench. After a while the bolts loosened and the headers leak. Ended up replacing the 3/8 socket screws for socket-head cap screws (allen screws). The work great and I can tighten all of them. Also went with 1 inch long screws. As long as the screw holes in the cylinder head were deep enough, use the longer screws. No leaks, and they stay tight.