What are the tallest gears I can run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have a dedicated plow truck for my property, it has a built BBC out of a mud race truck, tire chains on all four tires, 1-ton rear springs with about 3/4 - 1 ton of weight in the box, and it never leaves my yard. I hate plowing with momentum I would rather plow with pure power, slow and steady. I know that I need to go through my differentials this summer, I can feel about 1/2" of play between my ring and pinion... its BAD.

I am going to spool or detroit the rear, possibly LSD or lunchbox the front. What I want to know is how steep of gears can I get in this truck with matching front and rear diffs. Is 4.56's the most? Or can I find 4.88s, 5.xx, 6.xx??

The truck was originally an '89 1500 4-speed manual.

Thanks.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
They're are no lsds or lockers for your front diff

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They're are no lsds or lockers for your front diff

^^^ This. You are SOL as far as the front locker/LSD goes. Not one available. As far as gears go, thats just going to depend on what you can find. 5.13s are the deepest gears iv ever heard of for a 8.25 IFS. Im not sure what kind of shims you would have to have to run them, just have to call a gear manufacturer and see.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not to mention that 454 is gona eat that 10 bolt

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thanks, what gear manufactures would you guys recomend? Yukon, Motive, Richmond, Precision, ...... ?

And as long as I'm in there, is there anything else that I can upgrade in either the front or rear axles?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
What about a Lincoln locker in the front? I've never had one apart to know if it has a similar spider setup.

I would find a 14b full float and get some cheap steel wheels. Probably a Lincoln locket in the rear. No sense in dropping a ton of cash on parts for a plow truck that will never leave your property.