Having the known GM taillight issues. Who makes the best aftermarket tailights? What are yall running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Needing new taillights, having the common issue where the oem taillights are having a connection issue. Cleaned all my connections and my passenger rear and light behind my cab arnt working. What do yall recommend for aftermarket lights? Who makes the best aftermarket lights for our GMT400 trucks? Thanks again guys.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want factory looks, TYC makes a set of replacement tail lights that you can get for under $50 on RockAuto. If your lights are still in good physical shape you could try just replacing the circuit boards as well, they also sell those separately.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12218625&cc=1031533&pt=807

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12446825&cc=1031533&pt=807

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12446829&cc=1031533&pt=807

If you want something more modern looking, I've been very happy with my Anzo 211140s. They eliminate the tail light circuit boards and just have standard wired sockets for each bulb, which is nice.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038BBHNM

Regarding the 3rd brake light on the back of the cab, personally I think I would try to fix what you have. There are several aftermarket housings available but IMO none of them look as nice as the factory one. There is one that looks similar, but it's more of a modern design like the Anzo tail light housings.

https://rzlightz.com/collections/ta...ilverado-or-gmc-sierra?variant=41763237593241

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TYCs are nice and inexpensive. Just be sure and use a thin paint scraper to tuck that seal down as you push them into place or you'll crack the lens. If you look at the lower pic you'll see a tiny piece of the top corner busted off the left light.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Thanks Erik for that. Yeah so far I've heard and read that TYC and Anzos are what everyone recommends. I didn't even know they sold the board separately, that's like going in a old school auto parts store and actually fixing the old one rather than buying new as you mainly see today. I had to say that, cause you don't see that much anymore. But your TYCs look good on your chev, how bright do they light up when you turn your headlights/ and hit the brakes? But yeah I'm looking to get good replacements that are original as possible, but obviously better designed. I appreciate your input and recommendation too Erik.
Mike

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was having problems with mine way back when and I just bought the no-name ebay LED tails for $100. I've had them on there for 10ish years with no issues. The only thing is there they do the fast-blink with the turn signals because the LEDs don't have as much resistance as regular bulbs.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM-copy TYC lenses are pretty accurate recreations, so you'll get similar to OEM appearance and function from them.

The circuit boards you choose can vary greatly.. there are some that look just like OEM, and are probably OK at best. Then there are some really cheesy ones out there. I don't think any of the offerings are what I would call "great" .. Rock carries TYC, Wells (WVE), Dorman, and strangely only the right side from GM (I guess stock of left has run out and obsoleted.) They also have their "various mfgr." choice and I'd just skip it.

I haven't bought any of the aftermarket circuit boards lately, but after looking at the pics on Rock, I'd skip the TYC and Dormans as they're the design I tried years ago and the bulbs didn't fit tightly in the sockets. The Wells (WVE) looks closer to OEM design but from the pics it doesn't look like they come with the gasket, so if yours are bad, that could be a minus. Usually they're OK though.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was having problems with mine way back when and I just bought the no-name ebay LED tails for $100. I've had them on there for 10ish years with no issues. The only thing is there they do the fast-blink with the turn signals because the LEDs don't have as much resistance as regular bulbs.

Have you tried an electronic flasher , that's based on electronic timer instead of resistance bimetal flasher.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried an electronic flasher , that's based on electronic timer instead of resistance bimetal flasher.
Oh, you mean like the kind his truck came with from GM?

It can be hacked for free to remove the "fast flash" bulb-out warning. Or, can be replaced with an LED-specific flasher.

I used this hack on my '94 many years ago. Flash rate is not exactly as slow as with normal incandescent bulbs in place but greatly reduced from the hyperflash you get with LED's. Later I added the resistors back into the mix as when I replaced all 4 turn signals with switchbacks, and the corner markers with LED's as well, getting them to respond properly required the resistors in place.

Richard

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, you mean like the kind his truck came with from GM?

It can be hacked for free to remove the "fast flash" bulb-out warning. Or, can be replaced with an LED-specific flasher.

I used this hack on my '94 many years ago. Flash rate is not exactly as slow as with normal incandescent bulbs in place but greatly reduced from the hyperflash you get with LED's. Later I added the resistors back into the mix as when I replaced all 4 turn signals with switchbacks, and the corner markers with LED's as well, getting them to respond properly required the resistors in place.

Richard

All my lights front and back are LEDs now, is there a flasher for that or do I need resistors as well since they are all LEDs?