water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for awhile now I have had this water leak in my Tahoe, only happens in heavy rain of washing it at the car wash, the leak is on the pass side and I took the glove box out today to take a look and noticed a few drips on the bottom of the the blower motor but didn't see anything above it or anywhere else, the heater core box is fine and that was replaced and it isn't even dripping anywhere near there, anyone have any ideas?

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
This happens to everyone, I still have the leak. Some people say its an HVAC drain hose that is stopped up, others have said it is under the cowling, there is a heat treated area that might leak, and then sometimes it is an old screw that holds the cowl down that needs replaced. I have checked all of those and have yet to replace that screw. I think the screw is the problem.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have read about taking the cowl out and I think putting silicone in the holes and then putting the screws back in? and the drain hose can you describe where that is located at all? so much stuff under there lol

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to work at a Kia dealership, the Sorentos had an issue where the A/C drain tube would get clogged and eventually back up and cause condensation to soak the passenger side floor board. The clog came from debris working its way past the wiper cowl into or behind the firewall. I'm not 100% familiar with our HVAC systems but I guess the same could be true for these trucks. Our remedy was to take off the wiper cowl and blow compressed air into the end of the drain tube to force all the junk up and out then clean up the remaining crap. The drain tube should be running downwards from the passenger side of the firewall IIRC. I don't 100% know if this will work for you but it only takes about 15 minutes to get the cowl off and give it a shot.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to work at a Kia dealership, the Sorentos had an issue where the A/C drain tube would get clogged and eventually back up and cause condensation to soak the passenger side floor board. The clog came from debris working its way past the wiper cowl into or behind the firewall. I'm not 100% familiar with our HVAC systems but I guess the same could be true for these trucks. Our remedy was to take off the wiper cowl and blow compressed air into the end of the drain tube to force all the junk up and out then clean up the remaining crap. The drain tube should be running downwards from the passenger side of the firewall IIRC. I don't 100% know if this will work for you but it only takes about 15 minutes to get the cowl off and give it a shot.

Thanks for the info, took up the carpet before and no damage under there the weather tech floor liner traps it in, ill look into this when its nicer out

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have read about taking the cowl out and I think putting silicone in the holes and then putting the screws back in? and the drain hose can you describe where that is located at all? so much stuff under there lol

This is what you need to do. Take the small piece of the cowl off, then its one of the screws holding down the large piece that is under the piece you just took off. Just take it out and silicone the sh*t out of it and reinstall the screw. Solved my leak on my '98.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what you need to do. Take the small piece of the cowl off, then its one of the screws holding down the large piece that is under the piece you just took off. Just take it out and silicone the sh*t out of it and reinstall the screw. Solved my leak on my '98.

Thanks for the help, I know the screw your talking about and part of where it goes into is broken been that way since I got the truck gotta pick one up at the junkyard, take it all apart ill get new screws from LMC clean up all in there, silicone all the holes and hope it works

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score

I need to do this.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you have a sunroof? was this happening before you had the windshield replaced? still do it after you got it back?