Washed engine bay (bad Idea)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
After I replace the starter and get the truck home this week, I have quite the cleaning project ahead of me.
Here's the nearly 18 year old, 286,668 mile engine compartment currently...
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sure nothing will go wrong when I aim the hose at that, LOL!!!

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help and advice fellas. So I borrowed my friends Milwaukee blower and ran through 2 12.0 batteries and waited a little while and with a little struggle it finally started. Needless to say I will never be doing this again again I appreciate y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah I most definitely will I know when I had it running there was some smoke coming from the tailpipe but after letting it run about 45 min it went away so I’m wondering if I got some water in the fuel somehow

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help and advice fellas. So I borrowed my friends Milwaukee blower and ran through 2 12.0 batteries and waited a little while and with a little struggle it finally started. Needless to say I will never be doing this again again I appreciate y’all.

Awesome. Thats just the way it is.
Since about 1955
Plastic bags and sarran wrap and all kinds of fungged up ness
Welcome to the club friend.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always leave my vehicles running when I spray off the engine. If it happens to quit running, the heat of the engine helps dry everything out quicker.
Yep. Thats the best way to do it.
If it stumbles, its pissed off and you should stop doing it.
Yeah I most definitely will I know when I had it running there was some smoke coming from the tailpipe but after letting it run about 45 min it went away so I’m wondering if I got some water in the fuel somehow

Actually, you might have accidently cleaned your egr valve and decarboned the intake.
Thats rough way to go about but...
If it runs, keep running it

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold water on a hot exhaust manifold is a good way to crack an exhaust manifold. I know water ingestion is not as much of an issue on our trucks, but it's also something to be mindful of. I prefer to wash with the engine off and just stay away from the ignition and intake inlet.