Washed engine bay (bad Idea)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I was bored today and decided to wash off my engine well now my 99 Tahoe will not start.
It tried to but it’s like it’s not getting spark I was just wondering what I could do to fix my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My truck started do that too, after having pressure washed the engine many times before with no issues. I think something has aged to the point where water is getting where it shouldn't. I've also had the ICM go out right after. Unfortunetly, I don't have a good answer.

You may find that it starts fine tomorrow.... I know that may not be convenient.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WD40 (Water Displacement formula #40) is good for this. That's about all it's good for other than getting road tar off your paint. Spray it on the coil and distributor cap, see what happens. Then move on to other electrical parts until it works. Once it starts you'll have a good idea what's the culprit.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cap n rotor prolly got wet. I pressure washed my engines in many vehicles, think only once wouldn't start. Let it sit a bit and it dries out. I try to do to it when the engine is warm, dries off quicker, and the grease/grime is easier to get off lol.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an old Datsun in the 70s, when ever it rained and was humid in the summer, I took my sister's hair blower and heated the engine bay. It would always start after that. Could not afford new parts, Up here the wreakers only had the Big 3 on their lots. Now they crush everything for scrap.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also make sure you didnt blow a wire or a vacuum tube off someplace. Lots of wiring and vacuum on the TBI intake and it gets pretty cooked and brittle.
And the GM weather tight connecters aint so weather tight after awhile.
How did you spark test it? The old screwdriver in a plug wire isnt really accurate enough for a TBI and you can potentially fry your icm by doing it that way.
Get an HEI spark tester. About 15 bucks and looks like this.
They are designed to have the proper resistance for a spark test
But, yep dry everything out first
To clean a TBI, apply a degreaser of your choice, let it soak, and then remove it of with a gentle kind of wafting mist. Treat it like cleaning a baby. Too much, and it will cry
And, just an FYI.. never ever steam clean an engine with GM weathertight connecters.
Water droplets will be stopped by a weathertight.
Water vapor (steam) will go right on through, corrode all of the contacts, and provide you with all kinds of future f***ery

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: