want to replace Cat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Reaction score
I have the original cat in my 93 burb was wondering if i get an after market
magnaflow or other from summit would it trip codes? was going to go cat back
anyway. thanks roy

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No downstream O2 sensor in '93, so you could completely remove the catalyst and not throw a code. Aftermarket stock style or high flow replacement units should work just fine and won't cause any issues. Why are you replacing it, out of curiosity?

roy c

Reaction score
i figure after 20 years and 185,000 its probably seen better days. I also replaced one in my 87 sub 350 tbi 4x4
a year ago with 180,000 plus and it felt like night and day. freed up a bunch of hp at least it seamed so.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Magnaflow 3" converter was put into my 89 350 with single 3" exhaust and no trouble codes.

There are none to "throw" in a single O2 setup anyways....

roy c

Reaction score
Well last week i went for an inspection the mechanic had my sub on a lift pulling the tires off rear drums
looking for cylinder leaks i say why don't you look threw the peep holes well just have to make sure
truck was on the lift close to 1/2 hour i don't think he would have let me go with out a cat in place

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Being a NYS Vehicle inspector, its hard to get away with anything. The state has us by the balls. I'm not to sure of anyone who is willing to pay a fine of $2500. to let vehicle pass without a cat.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well last week i went for an inspection the mechanic had my sub on a lift pulling the tires off rear drums
looking for cylinder leaks i say why don't you look threw the peep holes well just have to make sure
truck was on the lift close to 1/2 hour i don't think he would have let me go with out a cat in place

Ah gotcha.

I wasn't saying to remove the catalytic converter, I was saying I had a magna flow catalytic converter on mine and no codes were set.

Given the option, I always retain the cat.....

:)

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in ny state and live in a small area. I know the mechanic and my truck never gets lifted. My truck is also a '90 and he says no cat is needed, good cause it's not there lol