Walmart had to replace my battery finally!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Last month when I went to test start the truck I found the battery was DEAD. I figured after our winter here and the fact it had not been started since around last August/September that the battery had suffered damage. I charged it for 24 hours on my automatic charger and noticed that the charger was only at 25%. That told me there was a major problem with the battery. Took it back to Walmart since the previous owner had bought it from there and still had the receipt. They tested and told me it was good even though it was a 650 CCA and tested out to 574 CCA. That to me said it was in trouble, but nothing I could do then. Well yesterday my Darling Wife went to drive it and though it was last driven on Sunday the battery was so dead it could not pop the passenger door lock.

Last night I tred out my new charger on the battery and it tries then shuts down with the message that it has a shorted cell. Took the battery back today and got a 3 year (Had a 2 year) free replacement battery at no extra charge. But took them 10 minutes to figure out how to exchange it for me. Turned out the one I had is no longer made and they only carried the 3 year. I did not have the extra money to pay what by the receipt showed from the original price, but when they entered the original receipt it showed the current price for the 3 year instead, I liked that! So now I have 3 more years that I should not have to worry about it, LOL.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought 2 walmart batteries years ago. One was still going strong 2 years later when I sold the car. The other lasted 3 weeks and wouldn't even turn on the dome light one morning. Exchanged for another that lasted about 6 months. Exchanged that for one that lasted another 6 months. The final exchange lasted 3 years and was still going strong when I sold the truck it was in.

Back then the local walmart had nothing to test a battery with, so when you said it was bad they took your word for it. The batteries they used to sell were marginal at best, some lasted forever, some were worthless right off the shelf. I don't know if they get their batteries from a different manufacturer now or what, but I have read a lot of good reviews about them in the last few years.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
The previous and current are both made by Johnson Controls.

Back in the late 80's early 90's my mother was exchanging her car's battery every 11 months. I think she went through 4 of them. When I bought my first one I went with a Energizer 1000 CCA battery. It lasted me a good 5 years and 4 cars before I replaced it, sadly it was not the battery that went bad but a battery cable, no telling how many more years I would have gotten out of it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of the battery issues I've ever seen were from one of three things: old battery (as in kept on the shelf too long), cheap battery (they aren't all the same with a different warranty), or a charging system issue.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The majority of the battery issues I've ever seen were from one of three things: old battery (as in kept on the shelf too long), cheap battery (they aren't all the same with a different warranty), or a charging system issue.

Pretty much what I see as well. Although I have had a few cars come in with battery draw issues that killed them as well.

Had a couple Walmart batteries. They seem to last 3 years at best. I prefer NAPA batteries because They seem to last 5 years and I can get them warrantied without question.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never purchased a battery from Walmart. Mine usually come from parts stores, primarily because I either worked for them or got a commercial discount through my shop. I've used batteries from Advance and O'Reilly and had no issues. Advance's batteries are mostly made by Johnson Controls. So are Duralast, Interstate, Diehard, Motorcraft, and many others. I've always wondered how many different lines Johnson Controls had, and how many competing battery brands were made side by side and just had a different sticker slapped on. I know there are different specs and levels of construction quality, but is Advance's Gold any different from a Duralast Gold, or an EverStart Maxx? I honestly avoid Johnson Controls batteries whenever possible and buy something made by East Penn/Deka, as I've always found their batteries to be the best quality. I have a Caterpillar battery that I got from work in the wife's van right now. I was sold on them when I saw a 420D backhoe come in for service that was 10 years old, had 5000hrs on it and still was running the original Cat batteries. If it lasts like those did, the van will be gone long before it dies!

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
With the fact I do mobile automotive repair I do prefer using O'Reilly Auto Part batteries, have them in my van and car. But with the fact this battery was still under full replacement warranty from Walmart I choose for them to give me a new one. When it fails outside of the free replacement warranty then I will go with an O'Reilly's battery.

In the last 8 years buying O'Reilly batteries I choose the best they have and out of 30 or so I have only had 2 fail, and they were the same type battery that were made with in a short time of each other. And they died with in two weeks of each other.

Speaking of Johnson Controls making Interstate batteries I had replaced my van's battery earlier this month which was an Interstate. Battery had a 7 year prorated warranty and failed after 7 years 4 months. And after this ordeal with the Walmart battery I think it had a cell that shorted out. It had started 5 times that day with no problems and then acted as if one of the terminals had lost connection. Chased out the problem for 20 minutes before concluding the battery was bad. Battery had tested out to 12.5 volts even in the PDC (under hood power distribution center). Jump start pack could not start it. Jump starting it did start but died as I brought the engine back to idle speed.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Might want to confirm you have another 3 years on those batteries. Not sure about Walmart, but some places only warranty the replacements for the remaining term of the original warranty.

From a business perspective I understand why they do it. From a consumer perspective, pretty shady.....

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
It's getting close to time for a new battery for this fella. Probably switching to top post.