Vortec v6 to vortec v8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colton_HD

Reaction score
This week end I will be attempting to do the swap. Swapping in a v8 from a 96 in to an 97 with a v6 and visa versa with the goal to make both run. I have three days to do it and the 96 must run on the end if the three days. This is what I have collected on what parts to swap

Rad and fan shroud
Trans lines
Fuel lines
Cluster
Motor mounts
Entire harness plus computer
If I do this will it be plug and play or will I have issues? What I have read is that the 96-97 should have the same harness. Which brings me to another question. Should I leave the harnesses and pin in the fuel harness or just swap everything over?

Am i missing anything? I really need some cold hard facts to have the confidence to pull this off. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks in advance! :Shake:

Sent from my Big Block iPhone using Tapatalk

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
3 days? Sounds like one of those TV "reality" shows where they set an unrealistic deadline to finish a car, and there is no way to know how much time they actually take. Can it be done? Sure, if nothing goes awry. I'd hate to think I had to pull an engine and replace it with the exact same type of engine and have a 3 day deadline. It leaves absolutely no time for "while you're at its" and will result in chasing down bugs forever.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
3 days? Sounds like one of those TV "reality" shows where they set an unrealistic deadline to finish a car, and there is no way to know how much time they actually take. Can it be done? Sure, if nothing goes awry. I'd hate to think I had to pull an engine and replace it with the exact same type of engine and have a 3 day deadline. It leaves absolutely no time for "while you're at its" and will result in chasing down bugs forever.
Good points I agree but if it has to be done get both angina pulled and the focus the rest of the time on getting the 96 back together and leave the 97 until you have more time imo

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Not that age means everything, but it looks like age 19 is a lot more confident than ages 43 and 50. Of course at this point in my life, I have learned to lay the tools down and wash up when I get frustrated rather than to bull my way through a problem. It usually results in a lot less headaches and broken stuff. It's amazing how many problems aren't problems at all after letting it sit for a bit.

Just ask yourself "What is the worst that could happen here" and plan for that. 3 days on a must have it back is tough on any engine swap. Apples to apples is one thing. Apples to oranges is another.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Not that age means everything, but it looks like age 19 is a lot more confident than ages 43 and 50.

Just ask yourself "What is the worst that could happen here" and plan for that. 3 days on a must have it back is tough on any engine swap. Apples to apples is one thing. Apples to oranges is another.
When I was 19 I would have tore into it without a thought haha... Then walked for three weeks

Its not a job you wanna rush, if its running well now, leave it be until you have the proper time to tackle it methodically

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not that age means everything, but it looks like age 19 is a lot more confident than ages 43 and 50. Of course at this point in my life, I have learned to lay the tools down and wash up when I get frustrated rather than to bull my way through a problem. It usually results in a lot less headaches and broken stuff. It's amazing how many problems aren't problems at all after letting it sit for a bit.

Don't underestimate me because of my age i know my sh#t ask anyone on here

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed^ I am not your average 19 year old either. I've rebuilt many engines, know my sh#t, and smart enough to listen to elders to learn more. Taylor and I as well as many members on here are 19 or younger. None of us would hesitate to start a project like this and finish it. Look at my truck, half of the stuff done to it was done by my own hands.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Loosen your sphincters, nobody is underestimated. The first thing I said was age didn't mean everything. When I was 19, I too had rebuilt a lot of engines and done all kinds of work on cars and trucks. My dad ran an auto parts store and I have been working on cars from the time I was old enough to hold a flashlight. It's just that with running up against stuff like this over and over, there is some wisdom to be had by us more seasoned folks (that's old geezers). Jump on it if you feel froggy. 3 days is a short time to finish an engine swap of any kind. At a minimum you have to factors in the "Crap, I broke this and now I have to run to the parts store to buy one" time. That can take up a lot of time.

I don't need to ask anybody here if you know your sh...er...stuff. Also, don't take things to heart on a message board. The internet is no place for thin skin.

Last edited: