vortec starter swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok Im searching for an answer to this question. I have an c2500 89 silverado with a 350 engine from 69-79 in it. It was a cab and chassis model so it has the th400. My starter is dying and I have a spare vortec starter from my dads 96 tahoe. Will this work? I tried to install it and it bolted up however it ground against the flexplate and wouldn't engage. Not sure what I did wrong. Any help??
thanks all!

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think that it will work. If it's ground against the flexplate it's a pretty good sign that it won't fit...Lol I'd just goto the parts store and get the right starter. The starter for my 1968 307 was only about 120. You don't want to cut corners on these, very good chance it'd leave you stranded. Good luck

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I got my hopes up after reading about how people just bolt up a vortec starter and that's it haha.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Follow up to this. The vortec starter works. Just had to order the correct mounting bolts!
Uh yeah, correct starter bolts are pretty much 100% required regardless of which one you're using! Good thing you got it figured out before you broke the starter, broke a bolt off in the block, or cracked the starter pad on the block - all of which could have happened.

Ok Im searching for an answer to this question. I have an c2500 89 silverado with a 350 engine from 69-79 in it. It was a cab and chassis model so it has the th400. My starter is dying and I have a spare vortec starter from my dads 96 tahoe. Will this work? I tried to install it and it bolted up however it ground against the flexplate and wouldn't engage. Not sure what I did wrong. Any help??
thanks all!
BTW the reason the truck came with the TH400 is it's an '89 model 2500, not because it's a chassis cab. The 4L80E didn't hit the scene until '91.

Richard

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh yeah, correct starter bolts are pretty much 100% required regardless of which one you're using! Good thing you got it figured out before you broke the starter, broke a bolt off in the block, or cracked the starter pad on the block - all of which could have happened.

BTW the reason the truck came with the TH400 is it's an '89 model 2500, not because it's a chassis cab. The 4L80E didn't hit the scene until '91.

Richard
Yea I didn't know I needed the bolts when I first tried it, literally bolted it up hit the key and it ground and I took it back off. Then I stumbled across one of your posts and orderd the correct ones. Been great for over a year now.