Vortec alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 suburban c1500 which was equipt with the 105amp alt. I've been wanting to upgrade it to the 124amp. Seems like the time may have came. I was gonna order a 124amp ac delco. I see there's a rectangle plug instead of the oval one. So I'll also order a new harness. Does anybody know if I missing anything? also i see its 4 wires on the harness and i could of sworn the stock harness has 1 wire. Does anybody know how to address this?. Any help or tips will be appreciated. I know there's a power supply from the battery. That's not what I'm talking about btw.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 suburban c1500 which was equipt with the 105amp alt. I've been wanting to upgrade it to the 124amp. Seems like the time may have came. I was gonna order a 124amp ac delco. I see there's a rectangle plug instead of the oval one. So I'll also order a new harness. Does anybody know if I missing anything? also i see its 4 wires on the harness and i could of sworn the stock harness has 1 wire. Does anybody know how to address this?. Any help or tips will be appreciated. I know there's a power supply from the battery. That's not what I'm talking about btw.
The other 3 wires are not used on our trucks, the old one should have 4 wires as well, but 3 of them are dummies. Check with a TBI wiring guide which one needs to be connected, but i think it's the same one, just a different shape harness.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 99' 2 door Tahoe, upgraded from the stock 105 amp alternator to a Powermaster alternator several years ago. This thing will crank the juice out! Well worth it! Mine has a one wire hookup, took a pic of the plug and their tag that was on it when tested with the output amperage. It was all plug and play, no changes to the harness.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can vouch for that brand as well, I've got their 225A, performs as advertised. If you haven't already picked up the 125A, they sell them on summit, just have to look for an alternator for a GMT800, they hook right up s long as it's the AD244 housing

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you get the powermaster? Also model/price? lol. Oh and do I have to do the big 3 upgrade? I plan on it just not right now

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The model number for mine is on the pic of the tag. That was advertised as a 150 amp model I believe. I can't remember how much I paid or if I ordered it direct from Powermaster or Summit Racing. You don't have to do the upgrade now but I eventually did when I mounted my winch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like $185 on summit and jegs. Says 150amps. Long as the model 48206 should be the same right? Dont need a new belt and should be plug n play? And last I need to do the big 3 upgrade lol just having done it but after the forums I've read I know I need it. Just now I put on my high beams, ac high, wipers, radio, and fog lights and it was doing good at idle then it started to bog down and jump back then big down and jump up...