Vortec 5.7 oil pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes, I will get another one from O'Reilly's and get it exchanged when they swap it out. I looked at the new sending unit in the store, and it was fine.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Still working great, so I just got a bad one first time. And at least when the truck decided its starter and battery were done,it did so in the garage, on a pay week.....

Donaven361

Reaction score
Still working great, so I just got a bad one first time. And at least when the truck decided its starter and battery were done,it did so in the garage, on a pay week.....
So I'm having the same issue you first described with my '97 5.7 K2500.
You replaced the oil pressure sender/sensor, and the low oil pressure issue is gone?

Cause I was about to just replace my oil pump. I figured it couldn't be the sensor because the oil pressure is fine until the truck warms up and I'm at a stop.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I replaced the sending unit because it was reading bad, and the first replacement one broke when the mechanic put it in. Was a couple of weeks before I could get back there to have them swap it out. Not fun, driving an old truck with no functional oil pressure gauge!
I had noticed that it was leaking at the back of the engine, and it was suggested that the sending unit might be the cause of the leak. Around that time it started reading more erratically too.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The low oil pressure when warm, is apparently a thing on older Vortec engines. As long as it doesn't use oil or make noise, it's not bad....