Vortec 5.7 oil pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
First question is: how much of a bee yotch is this to replace? '99 Burb C1500 5.7...
Coming in tonight, driving in central Houston, stop and go on the surface streets, the "check gauges" light comes on at the stop lights, then goes off when we accelerate when the light changes. Oil pressure gauge is on or close to zero at idle, truck has enough oil in it, isn't making any noise. Upon acceleration the gauge goes back to normal reading, and fluctuates normally on accel/decel.
It is due for an oil and filter change, that's scheduled for this weekend.
I know the small block has this sending unit by the distributor, at the back of the engine. Haven't replaced one on anything; I think the last one we had to replace was so long ago that Dad did the job( like 30+ years ago...).
Thanks in advance!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming your issue isn’t that you’re a quart or so low on oil (which is when mine do that) they’re not hard to replace. Pull the air intake (“Vortec”) box off for a bit better access.

Buy this and it’s an easy swap (or ride over to Mississippi and you can have mine)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably also want to spray some electrical contact cleaner into the harness connector while you have it disconnected, and then blow it out with a blast of compressed air. Never know if it has crud in there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Assuming your issue isn’t that you’re a quart or so low on oil, they’re not hard to replace. Pull the air intake (“Vortec”) box off for a bit better access.

Buy this and it’s an easy swap (or ride over to Mississippi and you can have mine)

You must be registered for see images attach
I don't think it's low on oil, I checked it before we went to the DMV this morning. Added a few ounces, but it doesn't use oil or leak much ( more than a 350 with 210K would do anyway). Will look at it in the morning, and I will probably be replacing the sending unit then. Thanks!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
O'Reilly shows a 3 terminal one and a 1 terminal one. Any ideas which one it could be?
I'm going to look at it in the morning before I go to the parts store. Thanks!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
O'Reilly shows a 3 terminal one and a 1 terminal one. Any ideas which one it could be?
I'm going to look at it in the morning before I go to the parts store. Thanks!

Yes, look at the existing one. I assumed three, and almost ordered it. I would have been wrong. My truck uses the single wire sensor.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, look at the existing one. I assumed three, and almost ordered it. I would have been wrong. My truck uses the single wire sensor.
So bizarre. For the longest time they're the 3 pin as it's not just the gauge sender but also tied into the redundant fuel pump power. Must be a '99 changeover thing. Yep - just looked 'em up, change appears to be for '99 as the '98 only lists the 3 pin, '99 lists both.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check oil pressure with a mechanical guage since you are going to remove the old sender. That will confirm what the REAL oil pressure is in Pounds Per Square Inch.

I think you can rent a guage from the local parts store.

Then go from there...

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
We'll, I got under the hood and looked at it...and it looks like I have a 1 wire sending unit. And it's really oily under it( so maybe this is where my oil smell is coming from). It is kinda under the distributor,but I think there's enough room for the socket and ratchet.
BTW, that video says 92-99, but he's working on a TBI truck ( so the distributor and plug wires are less in the way). Here's a couple of pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_141628~2.jpg
    IMG_20220514_141628~2.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220514_141523.jpg
    IMG_20220514_141523.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 28

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Same weak brass 90 the TBI setup uses.. be super careful you don't snap it off. It's way weaker than you think it is. Imagine heater hose quick-connect fitting..

Richard