Volatile body parts prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped by my auto parts store to order a front fender. I was going to buy it from them to avoid the shipping cost that almost equal the fender price. The manager said what ever price he quoted me today could be $100 more than the price when it came in. He said the market is that volatile right now and the vendors aren't ashamed to jack prices around. Anybody else experience this? I don't need the fender right now. I can live with the rust until markets stabilize if we ever return to more normal.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not seeing that problem at the body shop.

Any LKQ salvage yard can also get you an aftermarket fender from Keystone but you're really better off with a used oem one even if you have to clean up a few dings etc.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
me either lol
Maybe they don't want to mess too much with their main customer base?
Could be. The shop I'm affiliated with puts everything on Parts Trader where the vendors compete on pricing. Just got an OEM bumper cover for $150 less then the insurance co spec'd out an aftermarket one for my Mother's Hyundai.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's another reason to buy used OEM, in my opinion.
Y'all up in the rust areas got challenges there, though. Pretty sure OP's issue with his existing one is rust. Used ones near him likely to be more of the same. :(

Shipping has gone insane these days as well, but maybe you can get someone to send you a good OEM fender from a non-rust area, ship it with Fastenal for a possibly better price. At least double-cardboard-wrap it for protection..

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
common with non OEM stuff right now. I have quotes that are only good for 24 hrs and other items
they say I won't see for at least 200 days.
We're seeing some of that as well. The bumper I mentioned won't be in for another week so started 15 days out, and one sitting at the shop now for months almost fully complete that they keep backing up the date on an eta for a steering rack.

certain brands seem to have more delays then others. New oem gm truck grills, and many other oem replacement parts are sourced from China.

I have seen it several times now. The oem factory equipped part may be Usa, Canada, Mexico but the oem replacement straight from a dealer might be a chinese part. Not bottom barrel taiwanese but not quite oem factory equipped level quality either.

Aftermarket stuff not so much. Most seems available in reasonable time frames.

Last edited: