Vette servo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
So what is the technical procedure to do this? I know enough about the engine, but practically zilch about my tranny... in the past, we overhaul our own engines, transmission stuff goes to a shop. Sounds like a good upgrade idea

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Ok just so i understand this correctly. Upgrading to both the billet servo and the over drive servo will help my transmissions performance?

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I'm still on the fence about this. Not sure I would like it.

Sent from My padded cell using tapatalk 2

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will firm up the shifts to a more crisp feel. It won't bark the tires when it shifts. It's not a shift kit. Best way I know to explain it is, when your transmission shifts from first to second, a signal is sent from the PCM to the shift solenoid. The solenoid then strokes the shift valve, which directs 90 lbs or so fluid pressure to the servo. The servo, then applies the band. When you upgrade a servo, it takes less fluid pressure to hold the band. So, if you are pulling a boat, camper, or just driving hard, the more apply area you have, the better the band will hold. A stock servo, holds fairly well. A vette servo is about 7 percent better and is about $20.00. The next step up is a Sonnex servo, its about 25 percent more than stock, its around $65.00. The next is Superior, its 35% more. I have installed hundred's of these, and sold a ton of them, never had I had anyone complain.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will firm up the shifts to a more crisp feel. It won't bark the tires when it shifts. It's not a shift kit. Best way I know to explain it is, when your transmission shifts from first to second, a signal is sent from the PCM to the shift solenoid. The solenoid then strokes the shift valve, which directs 90 lbs or so fluid pressure to the servo. The servo, then applies the band. When you upgrade a servo, it takes less fluid pressure to hold the band. So, if you are pulling a boat, camper, or just driving hard, the more apply area you have, the better the band will hold. A stock servo, holds fairly well. A vette servo is about 7 percent better and is about $20.00. The next step up is a Sonnex servo, its about 25 percent more than stock, its around $65.00. The next is Superior, its 35% more. I have installed hundred's of these, and sold a ton of them, never had I had anyone complain.

Exactly, its actually a VERY common upgrade in a 4L60E transmission no matter if its in a truck or a car.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a regular Vette servo on my 4L60e and it didn't make it hit different the only thing that made it a tad harder was some electronic switch that increases the pressure.

So what goes my Trans was totally rebuilt in May of this year?? I was told to go with a TransGo HD kit but I don't want it to break my neck I want it to just chirp second gear at times.

Reaction score
I installed a transgo shift kit.....vette servo....and a bigger boost valve.....9 clutch pack...and it was well worth it.....night and day difference....

Along the same lines... I did the transgo kit along with the vette servo/pin in the old 'Hoe - was very happy with it. Firmed up the shifts nicely and got no complaints from the wife (it was her DD). I was scared to install - had never had a valve body off but installation wasn't too bad at all. If you are going to put in the servo I'd definitely go with the transgo kit also. If you are intimidated find a mechanical buddy and a 12 pack...

When I had the tranny rebuilt in my truck I had them put in the transgo HD (stage II) kit. LOVE IT

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
Back in the TH350 days, the 2nd band servo was on the side. simply removing the C Clip, popping the cover and removing the spring gave you a firmer 1-2 shift. The spring was there to S L O W the band apply down for a nice luxo shift. It was really a 5 minute mod, but the downside was the cover would leak sometimes as the spring kept the cover in place on the seal. Another trick was to put it in 2nd gear, and the 1-2 shift was firmer as the 2nd overun band (for downshift trans braking) would apply, and give the shift a little more bite.

Another trick I figured out on the TH400 was to hold it in low, foot to the floor, and at 45 or so when the 454 in my buddys SS Monte Carlo was screaming just rite, we push the floor shifter to drive, and immediately heave it back to low. The tranny had a fail safe upshift built in, and this would fool it, and W H A M! rubber in 2nd gear!!! Worked in my Dad's '75 Caddy too! Here's a peke at that Monte, from 1979. I still have the '66 Skylark GS, pretty much unused since that picture

Attachments

• CIMG2578 (Small).JPG
    CIMG2578 (Small).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 6