Valvoline Synchromesh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Does anyone know if this oil is approved for a nv4500 transmission? The application guide does not show a direct cross for it, but it does for the nv3500. Its $8.00 a qt. compared to whatever the dealer charges for the gm stuff. What is special about the oil that the nv4500 needs?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
NO, no, and NO. Syncromesh fluid is for the light duty 5 speed. (Getrag, HM290, 5LM60, NV3500 - all those variants)

The NV4500 requires Castrol Syntorq LT but you generally will not find it packaged as such. It was developed by Castrol for use in the NV4500 - mainly to protect the carbon fiber blocking rings (synchronizers) used in this transmission. You will find the fluid sold at GM and Dodge dealers. GM's part # for it is 12346190 and it's called simply "Synthetic transmission lubricant" or something like that. You need 4 quarts. It's around $20/quart.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can believe other people that tell you they used somethingorother fluid this or that, but they won't be the ones shelling out $1K to rebuild YOUR transmission, rite? :gr_grin:

Richard

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NO, no, and NO. Syncromesh fluid is for the light duty 5 speed. (Getrag, HM290, 5LM60, NV3500 - all those variants)

The NV4500 requires Castrol Syntorq LT but you generally will not find it packaged as such. It was developed by Castrol for use in the NV4500 - mainly to protect the carbon fiber blocking rings (synchronizers) used in this transmission. You will find the fluid sold at GM and Dodge dealers. GM's part # for it is 12346190 and it's called simply "Synthetic transmission lubricant" or something like that. You need 4 quarts. It's around $20/quart.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can believe other people that tell you they used somethingorother fluid this or that, but they won't be the ones shelling out $1K to rebuild YOUR transmission, rite? :gr_grin:

Richard

He speaks the truth. Had a friend do this about 8 years ago, synchros went out in 6 months and upon pulling the trans and taking it apart............the synchro rings had razor sharp teeth...........never had any problems before changing to synchromesh. Synchromesh has its place, I've used it quite successfully over the years, just not for a NV4500

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I don't need any fluid, my nv4500 is full, I just saw some on sale the other day and wondered if it worked. Thanks for the replys guys, I guess those gm part numbers did'n cross to a nv4500 for a reason. My nv4500 has that same sticker on it lol

Btw, our "local" gm/dodge dealer is over an hour from here lol.

Last edited: