valve lash adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I'm sorry, but if someone is not willing to learn how to put a timing pointer at 0° and learn the difference between intake/exhaust valves, that person probably shouldn't be adjusting valves or really doing anything beyond a basic oil change or maybe a water pump.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as for the valve adjustment- after i preloaded them 1/2 turn the rockers stuck in place and the pushrods couldn't be rotated at all. after couple of minutes they released, so i guess it's because of oil that drained slowly from the lifters.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Been doing it this way for years

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same method... ...The way you describe it makes it more idiot-proof,
Yes. More idiot-proof.

And I'm sorry, but if someone is not willing to learn how to put a timing pointer at 0° and learn the difference between intake/exhaust valves, that person probably shouldn't be adjusting valves or really doing anything beyond a basic oil change or maybe a water pump.
There's something to that. Our man Eran is at least willing to learn how to tell intake from exhaust.

i'm a bit confused about the trems. schurkey called "reluctor" the 8 points plate that's fixed to the shaft, you called that the pole piece which is fixed to the body...
The "reluctor" and the "pole piece" are the same thing--and it spins with the distributor shaft. Has teeth that stick "out". There's as many points as engine cylinders on almost all applications. There may be some oddball exceptions, such as odd-fire V-6.

The "mag pickup", "magnetic pickup", and "pickup coil" is all the same thing, and it's either fixed in place, or only moves with the vacuum advance (if used.) Has teeth that point "inward". Ford and Chrysler pickups have only one tooth.

The two items together--reluctor and pickup coil--are an electrical generator producing a screwy AC waveform. The ignition module uses that waveform to time the spark.

Last edited:

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, that's not what GM thinks...
they call "pick-up" to the electric part that connects to the module, and "pole-piece" to the part with inward teeth.

by the way, this is my shiny dizzy:gr_grin:
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean. Construction of the TBI distributor is different from the way the previous HEI distributors were made.

The "reluctor" on the TBI distributor is integrated into the main shaft (Shaft, Distr item 5)
The pickup coil is a separate item on the TBI distributor, where the previous HEI designs had the pickup coil integrated with the magnet-and-metal teeth as an assembly.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Techno-geek valve lash setting articles.

This one is r-e-a-l-l-y long! Redundant in spots. There isn't much it doesn't cover about valvetrains & their adjustment, though.
Lotsa links.

Bit of an easier read.