Vacuum line deletes and diagram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
So if looking for performance egr only works part throttle at cruise, for emissions to help reduce nox, by pulling exhaust in it cools the heads sounds backwards but it does. And canister pulls vapours out of the tank. There are ways to hide this stuff without removing it and make it look good. Take the time and do it right.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So if looking for performance egr only works part throttle at cruise, for emissions to help reduce nox, by pulling exhaust in it cools the heads sounds backwards but it does. And canister pulls vapours out of the tank. There are ways to hide this stuff without removing it and make it look good. Take the time and do it right.

Good summary. Cooling the heads I'm skeptical of, I've never read that in any of the references I've been exposed to.

Egr has other functions as well. In feeding the EGR into the combustion chamber, it lowers combustion temperatures. While it is primarily to reduce NOX (reducing combustion temps reduces nox), the reduction in combustion temperature allows the ECM to dial in more ignition advance prior to knock occurring. The ECM will keep adding advance until the knock sensor calls a halt to the fun. By pulling the egr off, you loose the advance that you would otherwise be able to take advantage of.

By allowing more ignition advance, the engine achieves better MPG and an increase in power. The additional advance far outstrips any "perceived" loss of fuel/air (there is none by the way).

There's a whole science about egr alone. Quite fascinating when you get into the workings of it all.

The early emissions were primitive and the benefits weren't as obvious as they are in newer designs, but they are there.

Last edited:

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
No not the head as whole but the combustion chamber portion yes.

I would google some pics on tbi engine bay, I'm sure someone will find something clean. I'm going to look on my computer if I have pics from my blue truck.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty clean engine bay in a TBI truck to start with and all that stuff is pretty trouble free... Why mess with it?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can re-route the vac lines so they aren't seen, and dress up those you can't hide. That way everything still works, you won't worry about fuel smell, no check engine lights and you won't need to retune anything.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I see all of you guys' valid points, as far as needing a tune, someone like me who actually needs a tune to begin with... :shrug:

So my egr delete would be to run headers.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, i just wanted to delete some stuff so it wouldnt be too bad to hook back up. As for the canister, there isnt a hook up to the tank as it was removed before but not the canister. Theres a line goin from the tank going to the frame but no line goin from that, so im guessin it was removed but the canister is still there.

Sent from the boonies now Free