V6 to V8 swap 96-99: Timing Chain Difference between 89-95 & 96-99 GM C1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMartinez224

Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gents.

I am currently doing a v6 to v8 swap on my 96 gm c1500. The donor motor is from 96-99 gm 5.7 motor (STAMPPED WITH 880 on block) . I bought a 5.7 wire harness & computer (black box under the hood) the same year as my truck which is a 96 so that every connects right up with no issues. The swap was going fairly well. The mechanic replaced motor mounts for the new v8 motor and installed the harness. When it was time turn truck on, we had power however no spark coming out of the distributor. This is where the head ache begins. We switched out and replaced a hand full of different distributors, tried VATS delete, swapping the harness and black computer and still have no luck ! At this point, I think the mechanic is trying get one on me and take as much money or he has no clue what he's doing but charging me parts and labor for all that he's doing to try and make her run. Last night, he pulled off the timing cover and proceeded to tell me that the problem is that timing chain kit that on the motor is set up for older model 5.7 350 (photos below) and is why we are not getting a spark. Can anyone shed some light on what they might think is going on ? Is there really a difference with timing chains ?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the only difference may be some aftermarket double rollers (wider chains) wont fit the vortecs with the crank reluctor... but for actually timing the engine there is no difference... as long as there are no clearance issues they all function the same.

ETA the timing chain will not cause a no spark issue. Time for a new mechanic.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is the crankshaft position sensor good? A bad one will cause a no start issue. Had this happen on my 99 , 5.7 Vortec Burb.