Upgrade to Solid Shaft on Passenger side front diff in K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i personaly have broken my side collar. twice. i found one that was cast iron and have had no issue since then. the only disadvantage i see to this set up is the locked front diff. meaning if you put it in your DD your fuel mileage which already blows goats will blow even more goats. that being said, freeze is right on about the IFS. it's far better than the SAS, IF IT IS SET UP RIGHT. i like his idea, and it's not bad. i'd consider it. get that price down to 250 and i'd likely buy it. i also think someone should develop an iron case for the front diff.... this would solve most issues i can think of in the 1/2 ton applications. otherwise just upgrade to the 1 ton front diff and be done with it.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i personaly have broken my side collar. twice. i found one that was cast iron and have had no issue since then. the only disadvantage i see to this set up is the locked front diff. meaning if you put it in your DD your fuel mileage which already blows goats will blow even more goats. that being said, freeze is right on about the IFS. it's far better than the SAS, IF IT IS SET UP RIGHT. i like his idea, and it's not bad. i'd consider it. get that price down to 250 and i'd likely buy it. i also think someone should develop an iron case for the front diff.... this would solve most issues i can think of in the 1/2 ton applications. otherwise just upgrade to the 1 ton front diff and be done with it.

First I've ever heard of someone snapping the slide collar and not a CV, support tube or housing instead (aside from the D-max pullers).

The 9.25 housing doesn't solve a whole lot IMO, they seem to blow up just like the 8.25 little brother. Combine that with having to modify the mounting point a bit to fit it the reward for the work starts going to dissolve.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
First I've ever heard of someone snapping the slide collar and not a CV, support tube or housing instead (aside from the D-max pullers).

The 9.25 housing doesn't solve a whole lot IMO, they seem to blow up just like the 8.25 little brother. Combine that with having to modify the mounting point a bit to fit it the reward for the work starts going to dissolve.

an iron diff housing would solve alot. hell, a thicker housing in general would solve alot. but no body is making any of those it seems

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
an iron diff housing would solve alot. hell, a thicker housing in general would solve alot. but no body is making any of those it seems

Agreed.

GM actual came out with an iron 8.25 diff for the H3 to handle the locker they started putting in them in '09.

freeze

Reaction score
We have an iron diff n the works as well but it will probably be a while before it comes out.

freeze

Reaction score
Also i believe the h3 has a AAM 7.63 front end. We are also currently designing h3 parts

Last edited:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Our kit will sell for about $260 to $280 which is more than a posi-lock, but you will have the peace of mind knowing your four wheel drive is significantly more reliable.
You aren't addressing the weak point, the housing. This kit might add "peace of mind" but that won't help you when it breaks.

Our company believes that the IFS has a lot to offer that the solid axle swapped trucks do not. A few advantages are significantly better high speed handling and a superior ride quality. I can verify this having owned both a solid front axle Chevy, and a Chevy with IFS. Our company mission is to offer products to consumers who also recognize the IFS advantage that will make the IFS just as strong and reliable as a Solid Axle.
I've owned both as well and a solid axle truck is perfectly fine for high speed driving. It is far, far superior to IFS when towing in slick conditions as well. You can't make an IFS as strong or reliable as even a stock solid axle. Much less a lightly modified one.

So for those of us who elect to keep the IFS and actually wheel it hard, this product will greatly enhance the reliability of our rigs. Strengthening the front end will also be a huge advantage especially since the Duramax swap into the GMT 400s is becoming more and more common.
Wheeling hard with IFS isn't an option. Not because the shafts or side collars are going to break but because the housing can't handle it.

To date there still aren't any lockers readily available for the IFS so that is one more huge deficit of trying to wheel with them. The reason they don't offer lockers is because the housings can barely stand up to an open diff. A locker would rip them apart in no time.

I'll volunteer one of my solid axle vehicles for a comparison test. We can do a pull, in reverse, on asphalt. My front tow hooks to yours. If my truck breaks and yours doesn't, I'll start believing. I've got an extra axle here, I'm not too worried about breaking one.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed.

GM actual came out with an iron 8.25 diff for the H3 to handle the locker they started putting in them in '09.
ive not worked on an H3, last hummer i messed with was a brand new H2... and i wasnt impressed. If the H3 is a gm 8.2 i'd be currious to see the compatability on an obs. i still like H1 design

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they all use the 8.25, I know the 08-10 do.
I'll see if i can get the service manual on it and see for sure. I've gotta head to my brothers shop to work on some **** in the next few days anyway. 7.63 seems alittle thin to be on a truck that is supposed to do what that one is supposed to do. 8.25 does too.... but thats IMO.