Turned my 2000 k2500 on this morning for work and turned my headlights on and shut the whole truck down, won't turn back on HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Hey guys how's everybody? I'm new to the forum and I have a problem with my truck. As the title says I literally turned my truck on this morning to get ready to head for work and I turned the headlights on it shut the whole truck down. Only lights that works are my cab lights but they're very dim.and these a noise every time I open the door. Does anybody know what this is? Has this happen to any of y'all's trucks? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks guys.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
First thing I'd check is the battery cables. The connection at the battery has probably become loose at one or both of the terminals.

Second thing I'd check is my usage of the word "literally." In all cases it can just be avoided entirely and in many it can simply be substituted with "actually." It is the most over and incorrectly used word in the English language. Once you notice that, you can't un-notice it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second literally everything Derek said. Your symptoms literally spell out "battery connection issues". My Suburban's side post terminals would literally loosen themselves while driving down the road. I literally cut off the battery terminal ends and went top post and the problem went away literally overnight. Also check for corrosion in the cables.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hey guys how's everybody? I'm new to the forum and I have a problem with my truck. As the title says I literally turned my truck on
this morning to get ready to head for work and I turned the headlights on it shut the whole truck down.

Turned your truck on? Do you mean that you started the engine, and the headlights stopped the engine? I'd suspect a battery connection like has already been mentioned, but also check other grounds. If the PCM loses power it will stop the engine immediately.

At the battery, when inspecting those connections, assuming you still have a sidepost battery, don't just look at the connections, but take them apart. Corrosion will hide inside. You can also get acid traveling down the wires, inside the insulation, but that's not super common, but it does happen.

You may also have a bad/dirty headlight switch, but I'm not sure how it would directly effect the running of the engine unless maybe it shorted something.... maybe check fuses on the left side of the dash, an in the fusebox in the engine compartment.

Only lights that works are my cab lights but they're very dim.and these a noise every time I open the door.

It's not the door buzzer?

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree. Check battery and connections. But if truck stalled because the headlights turned on, check alternator too.

Was truck able to re-start? Sounds like main battery positive or ground aren't making good connection.

Side battery posts are fine, just inspect for corrosion. Except for my K3500, all my other GM trucks have side posts.

Last edited:

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Well I figured it out someone who had the truck before the owner I bought it from did a tacky positive ground rigging. Used a bigger nut that wouldn't fit on as a spacer and the darn thing would come lose over time. Had to cut the rubber insulation to make it connect properly and get a new bolt a lock washer and a jam nut to cure it. This is just a temporary fix. When the battery becomes bad I'll change the cables out for some fresh ones. But I appreciate everyone's help and advice