Trying to hook!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm-alltheway

Reaction score
Anyone who has tried to make their truck hook up for racing, post pics, ideas, solutions you have found, anything. You can see my mods in my sig, im right around 400hp at the flywheel, im runnin stock leaf spring with some cut out to dampen the spring rate and lower the truck, along with 2.5" drop shackles. Any inpout will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do u have wheel hop when takeing off? I did and I put on 2 sets of leaf spring clamps and I have no wheel hop and can even do a burnout

gm-alltheway

Reaction score
I got a little wheel hop, more like my tires and rear suspension are saying, "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh time to destroy ourselves", i have an open rear end with 3.08 gears and she spins both for about 10 feet anywhere under 40 mph, i will deff look into spring clams to get me by, thanks for the input

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
With that kinda power, you need a posi. But not a factory G-60. It wouldn't last. Some 3.42's would wake it up, performance wise, & 3.73's would be a whole lotta fun!
Check out some of the members with BBC's build threads. There's a couple that have done complete rear suspension set-ups specifically to get the trucks to hook. IIRC one member goes by '454SSguy'.
Just use the search for '454', or '454SS', or 'BBC'. Stuff like that.
I'm still working, & busy, otherwise I'd go look.

gm-alltheway

Reaction score
Im planning on going with a factory style auburn gear posi, got 3 broken ones laying around from various people an places, and two master rebuild kits, hopefully thatll do, im planning on going with a set of 3.73's for the fun factor and with my rebuilt 700r4 and where the engine runs strong, it should be alot of fun. thanks for the tips

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I went from 3.42's & a gov-lok, to 3.73's with an auburn.
When I first drove it after the change, it seemed to be a different truck! It had some balls! Well...as much that a 4.3 can have! With the higher RPM's that it was spinning out on the highway, it didn't even sound like the same truck.
Pulled out to pass @ 50mph. Took it up to 80mph. Dammmnnn! 4.3's arent supposed to get up like that! Woohoo!
With the power you're pushing in your truck, it'll be a whole lotta fun! Be prepared to be stopping to fill up more often!
I'm really looking forward to doing an LS engine swap!

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After the gears & auburn toss out the leafs and do a 4 link. It's such a cool feeling to take off hard and feel the back end lift instead of squat. I did one on my bagged S10 and afterwards the thing couldn't spin the tires.