Truck rides like a brick.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good info. I think I may try that.

FYI- I installed the Rough Country 4-6 inch lift (front lift depends on torsion key adjustment but nets approx. 4 inches with just brackets alone) and it fit really well. I upgraded from torsion key lift and it rides much, much better! Price was $899 for front and rear complete kit (black friday special/ rear is blocks and not AAL or full leaf packs) but has gone up to $1099 (reg 999). If you want to keep IFS and not SAS, there are not too many options anymore and I was very impressed with the fit on a 25 year old truck. Only thing I want to add are kicker bars to support diff cradle and real lift tb relocators to get rid of the drop brackets. Other than that, it is one of the only options left for the k2500/ k3500. If you would like more reference pics, I have added a bunch in the RC 4-6 inch stickey thread.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 K2500 ECSB with 454. This is a HD with the 9600 GVWR I believe. I just replaced the shocks with some KYBs gas-adjust and they ride better than the bilsteins did but the truck bounces like crazy. New ball joints and such. I loosened my torsion keys all the way and that helped. I'm wondering if its cause of the rear leafs being so strong. Any ideas?

Ok...what’s the tire pressure? Some people make a mistake and fill to Max pressure even when unloaded. That will make it bounce like crazy and ride like a Conestoga wagon. You don’t need max psi unless you’re hauling heavy.
New shocks will make the truck ride stiffer but that’s because most got used to the crappy previous shocks that did nothing.
On my trucks I run over 65 psi. At 80 psi it’s like a tire filled with concrete. 65 is plenty and the tire wears evenly

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...what’s the tire pressure? Some people make a mistake and fill to Max pressure even when unloaded. That will make it bounce like crazy and ride like a Conestoga wagon. You don’t need max psi unless you’re hauling heavy.
New shocks will make the truck ride stiffer but that’s because most got used to the crappy previous shocks that did nothing.
On my trucks I run over 65 psi. At 80 psi it’s like a tire filled with concrete. 65 is plenty and the tire wears evenly

I replaced the shocks about 4 months ago. I also lowered my psi in the rear tires as stated in my previous post to 50psi and it made a tremendous difference.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the shocks about 4 months ago. I also lowered my psi in the rear tires as stated in my previous post to 50psi and it made a tremendous difference.

was this a used truck? Someone could of replaced the springs from a heavier duty version or added a helper spring. I mean a 1 ton rides rough but it’s not that bad.
Are you running some 19.5 commercial wheels?
You can try a set of solastic shackles. I installed a set in a buddys truck a while back a d it made a huge difference in his ride.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as tire pressure I think I'm st 50 in the front and 80 in the rear which is what the door tag says to have them at. They are retread k02s. I wish I had falken wildpeak at3s on. They are a much better tire.

When I got my truck they were at 50 and 80psi - and it was pretty jarring!

I dropped air pressure to 50 in the rear. Huge change. It rides like my heavy half did!

Dropped them to 40 60psi and a lot better. Got new tyres on it a week or so back and the tyre guy recommended 35 and 50psi so I'm running with that for now.
I've lost a bit of precision on the steering but I can't as yet tell if it's due to tyres being new, tyres being different (AT vs road) or lower pressures. I might up the fronts to 40psi but staying well away from 50 80. I reckon there's a sweet spot between ride and steering for the fronts somewhere between 35 and 40psi.

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
was this a used truck? Someone could of replaced the springs from a heavier duty version or added a helper spring. I mean a 1 ton rides rough but it’s not that bad.
Are you running some 19.5 commercial wheels?
You can try a set of solastic shackles. I installed a set in a buddys truck a while back a d it made a huge difference in his ride.

Its a used truck. As far as I can tell the springs are stock. It does have air suspension helper springs.

No, I am running 16" PY0s from a newer silverado. They are a lightweight wheel. Please read through the pages as I have photos posted and updated information along the pages.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Dropped them to 40 60psi and a lot better. Got new tyres on it a week or so back and the tyre guy recommended 35 and 50psi so I'm running with that for now.
I've lost a bit of precision on the steering but I can't as yet tell if it's due to tyres being new, tyres being different (AT vs road) or lower pressures. I might up the fronts to 40psi but staying well away from 50 80. I reckon there's a sweet spot between ride and steering for the fronts somewhere between 35 and 40psi.

General rule is 10psi per 1000# of vehicle weight, so 35 sounds a bit low IMO. I run 45# up front in the 1500 and it does well. 55#+ loaded out back.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

When we had our 3/4 ton square body Burb, it was rated at 8600 pounds GVWR and had 10 ply LT ( light truck rated) 16" tires. They ran at 80 psi. And yes it rode like a truck. Don't remember how many leaves the springs had, but we towed a car hauler trailer with it, hauling a big block powered 3/4 ton square Burb, and it didn't squat much. I was going to put my PY0s on that Burb, but never had the $$ for tires.
The tires on my 99 Burb are P 235/15, so car tires, but it handles and rides better with 35 psi in them. I'll kick it up a bit especially the rear ones, before it's loaded for the swap meet, probably 38 front, 40 rear. It rides a little better when I have a couple hundred pounds of gear and toys in the cargo area though.....

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update.

I was trying to find the specs on alldata for ride height but couldn't. I did find specs on autozone but doesnt give a suspension option. I set them to 34mm so its st least closer to what stock should be.

You must be registered for see images attach