Truck rides like a brick.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 K2500 ECSB with 454. This is a HD with the 9600 GVWR I believe. I just replaced the shocks with some KYBs gas-adjust and they ride better than the bilsteins did but the truck bounces like crazy. New ball joints and such. I loosened my torsion keys all the way and that helped. I'm wondering if its cause of the rear leafs being so strong. Any ideas?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean it rides like a truck? LOL

I've got a similar truck. K3500 CCLB GVWR 9200 lbs. I was going to ask if yours happened to be a short bed...

I think it's because of your shorter wheelbase. I've got a 1500 ECSB 2wd and I think it rides about the same as my long truck, maybe a little worse actually, LOL.

I don't know what you could possibly do, exempt add 3-4 bags of 60# sand in the bed.

LT tires also ride stiffer. I run LTs on my all trucks.

Those 8 lug ECSB are a bit on the rare spectrum, BTW. Not too many were made.

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean it rides like a truck? LOL

I've got a similar truck. K3500 CCLB GVWR 9200 lbs. I was going to ask if yours happened to be a short bed...

I think it's because of your shorter wheelbase. I've got a 1500 ECSB 2wd and I think it rides about the same as my long truck, maybe a little worse actually, LOL.

I don't know what you could possibly do, exempt add 3-4 bags of 60# sand in the bed.

LT tires also ride stiffer. I run LTs on my all trucks.

Those 8 lug ECSB are a bit on the rare spectrum, BTW. Not too many were made.

Yeah I guess haha. These KO2 knockoffs might be part of the problem. It rides way better when pulling something. I have a topper on it now so I figure that helps some. I may just get a quality 4" lift with lighter springs and keep the torsion bars uncranked.

You must be registered for see images attach

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Welcome Snoman!
Please don't let this upset you , because I just want to clear up something for you. The GMT400 HD platform has a different frame (taller) and weren't offered as pickup trucks. They were cab and chassis and/or ordered with different utility beds out back. The taller frame meant that the body sits higher and necessitated a rather ugly filler panel between the front bumper and the grille. Like this....

Again, "I come in peace." Just informing you what a HD is. -And I bet THEY ride like hell, lol!

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
When I used to daily drive mine(empty), to smooth out the ride a little, I would keep maybe five 50lb bags of pea gravel in the bed, above/behind the axle.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1997-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

If I am not mistaken, when people refer to K2500 HD they generally mean 8 lug, vs non HD 6 lug.

Not sure exactly what GM meant when they listed 2500 HD in the brochure.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They made 3 versions of the 2500, 6 lug, 8 lug lite duty, 8 lug heavy duty. I had a 97 2500 that was the heavy duty. The 3500HD's is a whole different animal.

The bushing can wear out, steel sleeves rust in the bushings, balljoints, etc, etc. Tire and pressure makes a huge difference too.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
When I used to daily drive mine(empty), to smooth out the ride a little, I would keep maybe five 50lb bags of pea gravel in the bed, above/behind the axle.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1997-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

If I am not mistaken, when people refer to K2500 HD they generally mean 8 lug, vs non HD 6 lug.

Not sure exactly what GM meant when they listed 2500 HD in the brochure.

Ahhhhhh... That makes sense. I get it now.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh... That makes sense. I get it now.

I think that option is called C6P? It's basically the same as a 3500 SRW, at GVWR = 9200. Why GM would not just call it a 3500, is beyond me. Maybe they just had 2500 badging they wanted to use up? Who knows?!

Now that I think about it, a ECSB 3500 badging on the door would make it a very unique truck.

Welcome! And that's a very nice looking truck BTW!