Truck cap, bed topper, camper shell; whatever you call it let's have a lookysee!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Around here they're called truck caps. But there's lots of names for them.

Almost universally, there is no love for them in the younger crowd.

But it's hard to argue how practical they are. Some even look really good.

So, let's have a thread on them.

Post up your pics, what type it is, what you've changed on it, what you use it for and maybe what you paid for it.

I'll kick it off:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's an old Action Truck Caps model, which is a rebranded name brand. Lund I think.

I paid (brace yourselves) 50 bucks for it. You read that right: 50 bucks.

I had to change the gas struts out:

I used a set from an RV store instead of something from the autoparts store. These are stronger units meant for RV doors and the icing on the cake was they were cheap. The don't even loose strength in the cold.

Also had to fix a little bit of broken fiberglass on the rear door:

Someone had closed it on something and broke it clean through.

I also added a CHMSL from a Pontiac venture (if I remember right):

There's a CB mount I built into the cap:

The antenna folds to get in and out of the garage (also good for putting it in "stealth mode" around "questionable" areas) and there's a nice little holder I built further up on the cap:

I replaced the window screens and welded up bars for the windows:

The screens are there to keep the bugs out, the bars are to keep the dogs from ripping the screens out. My Sheppard/Dane cross is a bit of a bulldozer and will jamb his head right through screens if he feels like it.

I installed a small hanger bar on the LH side:

It holds things like dog leashes and collars. It's a good spot to keep them organized and they hang dry. Right now, my rain gear is hanging to dry.

It's a safe, dry, comfy place to spend the night when I'm out with my buds and I'm pulling my fishing boat:

On cold nights even body heat is enough to keep it warm, a sleeping bag makes it balmy. The high back on the cap makes it just nice for sitting on a low box at a short table to eat or for easily changing cloths. Let's just say my buds are not as happy in their tents as I am in my truck bed. They're downright "pissed" when it rains. :rofl:

Future plans are color matching the exterior to the truck and a few more things inside like liners and cabinets. Here's some possible ideas:

I'm also toying with the idea of "frenching" 4 driving lights into the front of it, similar to this photochop:

but recessed into the cap. I actually have the 4 rounds, but I think I'm going to switch to 4 squares and a vacuum formed plexi cover.

So, that's my truck cap.

How about yours?

:)

Last edited:

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the same topic the wife and I are tossing around the idea of a slide in camper, if I didn't need to pull my boat and could use a traditional bumper pull camper I would definitely have one of those to use as you do.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
On the same topic the wife and I are tossing around the idea of a slide in camper, if I didn't need to pull my boat and could use a traditional bumper pull camper I would definitely have one of those to use as you do.

Oh, I've got a bumper pull:

The missus doesn't go fishing so the truck cap is good enuff for me. It's only an overnight trip at best when fishing anyways.

:)

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
You're gonna make me dig WAY back into my Photobucket haha

97 K1500 STEPSIDE with a fully fiberglass camper shell. Only windows were the slider by the cab, and flip up rear.

I WISH I had never gotten rid of it, but I had nowhere to keep it when I needed to take it off, since I live in dorms. I have yet to see another one like it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You're gonna make me dig WAY back into my Photobucket haha

97 K1500 STEPSIDE with a fully fiberglass camper shell. Only windows were the slider by the cab, and flip up rear.

I WISH I had never gotten rid of it, but I had nowhere to keep it when I needed to take it off, since I live in dorms. I have yet to see another one like it.

David has/had a similar one on his stepside IIRC.

I see you have your front driving lights turned out "wildlife style".....:rofl:

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heres mine! still have it, thinking about reinstalling it......but i want a spray/roll in bedliner on top of the rails first.
its a guidon slider windows (had screens on them but the tint shop dude pulled em out to tin the windows...... may use the idea above for the bars.
Side slider windows are 5% the rear window is 5% the front inside window (against cab) isnt tinted, its a pita to see out the back since my cab rear window is 5% and the camper rear window is 5%

when i got the truck it was installed by my neighbor already, bad thing is is he only used 2 clamps and then drilled holes and bolted the rest........
he had a piece of outdoor carpet cut and put in there, its not to bad imo

heres a chop someone on another forum did

and id like to find a roof rack and put lights on it like this ferd

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I only have it on for the winter. I hate having to shovel the bed when I need to haul something.

I got it for free, One of the local dealerships pulled it off due to damage and a friend of mine grabbed it, fixed the bent support with some angle iron and she's good as new. Later on I replaced the rear window lift struts. This year I need to repaint it before I get it back on

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
David has/had a similar one on his stepside IIRC.

I see you have your front driving lights turned out "wildlife style".....:rofl:

Yeah but his had the windows in the side I believe?

And yeah, those were to help spot the Moose and bear running around on base haha they were cheap and werent very bright anyways.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked this up the other day for the grand old price of free. Well, I had to buy four clamps ($2.99/ea at Princess Auto) and the fuel to go get it and bring it back, but I think I made out pretty good!

Will need a paint job and a new back window, but that's no big deal. The truck this came off of apparently was on fire; not sure if the rear window blew out then or afterwards. Off to shop for plexiglass... anyone know if I could clear coat the plexiglass to prevent it from yellowing? Any plexiglass windows I've ever seen eventually turn yellow and opaque...