Truck at the body shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I'm driving to work around 5:45 am, minding my own business, and someone in a 4 door sedan decides to pull out in front of me....and I mean right in front of me. My natural instinct was not the one I should of had, (which was to destroy the rear end of the car) but I swerved to avoid and clipped a mailbox. I didn't even see the damn thing until it was too late and I couldn't avoid it. So I'm expecting her/him to stop, but they just kept driving :nono:. I had my son with me which was my first priority and even though I knew he was alright I didn't follow the car to get a plate. So now I've got to come out of pocket for my deductible to fix it. It's in the shop right now and should be done by the end of next week. Here's the items they're either replacing for getting from the yard:

front bumper (I'm keeping the old one to do a possible smoothie)
grill
parking lights
front fender
passenger door
full paint on Rt side

I told them to NOT put the molding back on after they're done. That way I can decide if I want to keep it or leave it off, as I don't want to go peeling molding off a freshly painted truck. All in all I think the total is somewhere around $3400. You can't really tell by the pics but the drivers door and ext cab door are creased and the chunk taken out of the front of the door is from the mailbox opening and the handle catching the gap.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z368/jth0507/Truck damage/

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
That sucks to hear why they replacing the bumper and the damage dont look to bad although its hard to tell on white. 3400 seem a bit steep to but as long you dont have to pay for all over it thats what matters. Glad everyone is ok

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
There were some "scratches" on the top corner of it. I don't ever remember them being there but I can't figure out what it was from. So...when they did the estimate (State Farm) I pointed it out to them and they put it on there. The prices for just the bumper and grill (painted) comes to over $600. That damn grill is not cheap.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Man that sucks! Glad you and your son are okay though, Tucsons got some crappy drivers to go with our crappy roads :nono:

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I told them to NOT put the molding back on after they're done. That way I can decide if I want to keep it or leave it off, as I don't want to go peeling molding off a freshly painted truck.
Good call. If you dont give the paint some time to harden it will most likely print the paint. We've done some that they wanted the molding back on and decided to take it off later and it was printed in the paint.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought Luke. Better to wait and look at it for a few weeks then put it back on and regret that decision. I'm leaning towards leaving it off. I should be picking up the truck this afternoon. They were waiting on the SLE badge and Z-71 sticker from the dealership. Everything will stay off until I decide what I want to do. Apparently I'm getting the diesel bumper because the aftermarket OE one they ordered had two holes about 10 inches either side of the license plate mounts, and I told them that was a no go. They asked me what I wanted to do and I said try to get the diesel bumper. The local dealership I talked to said that even though the book shows the stock one that I have AND the diesel bumper as separate numbers, when you order it only the diesel bumper will show up??? IDk..They had one in stock, so that's what I'm getting! Will post pics when I get it.

Last edited: