Trouble installing harmonic balancer - it gets to the same spot and then binds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Cannot get past a certain spot on reseating my harmonic balancer -- it gets to the same spot (only halfway home) and just STOPS. All forward progress halts and it's either the installer bearing that is going to implode or I am going to commit the unpardonable sin of stripping out the crank snout threads. I have had to remove it twice already and start all over, both times inspecting the inner and outer metal surfaces of the concerned two mating surfaces. They are coated in super lube and are clean... but they look dull, like they need polishing. Looking for some direction here on how to properly polish these two surfaces (snout and HB inner track) and what works best for lubrication (have heard everything from motor oil to white lithium to silicone RTV). Could really use some help here guys -- I need this all to go back together tomorrow. what grit sandpaper (2000?)? Dremel polishing bit with jewelery polishing paste? Thanks.

What are you using to install the HB? A bolt or an actual Balancer instillation tool? If you are using a bolt STOP!! You are most likely bottoming the bolt in the crank snout. The balancer MUST be installed with the proper tool. DO NOT try and drive the balancer on with a hammer as you can severely damage the thrust bearing.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one post from him says the bearing was gonna pop, so sounds like using the install tool....but one never knows

soundquest

Reaction score
Okay fellas -- success! Finally. 2000 grit sandpaper on the snout and on the inside of the HB (this is the original HB to answer your ?'s) -- there were some small gouges on the snout, no longer after the 2000 grit. A little synth 10w-30 on both surfaces... and we have BUTTERY smooth execution and action on the reinstall. Resistance was reduced by about 75%. However, I am beginning to think it would be a good idea to add a repair sleeve as the factory crank has suffered some wear (and the groove) and will likely allow some oil to bleed through and leak. What is y'all's experience with this? On the recap -- very happy with the success of this operation, and appreciative of all the help. Almost to the finish line -- if I have to remove the crank and reinstall it again (if I add the sleeve), it will be much easier now.