Tripp's ********* *****, "Bertha"!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see why that won't work on the roof, ur not gonna be able to see it anyway unless you park it outside and have a 2nd story balcony lol. Even at that, you won't be able to tell.
Thanks. Just looking for extra opinions.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats exactly what i would do if i was planning on painting the truck later. Use some heavy fill primer on it to hide the imperfections, and spray til your heart's content. Don't forget to mask everything else up tho, don't want overspray everywhere.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not gonna get it done today due to Florida's temperamental weather.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Houston, we have a slight problem.

You must be registered for see images

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the front windows tinted and also had a strip put along the top of the windshield.

You must be registered for see images

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also replaced my cap and rotor under warranty after replacing plugs and wires trying to chase down a misfire. Luckily the cap and rotor fixed it.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys! I need your wisdom! I've been doing my research on wheel adapters.
I know that my tahoes bolt pattern is 6x5.5, and the 2500hd wheels I am going to buy are 8x6.5.
So clearly, I will need an adapter from 6x5.5 to 8x6.5.

Now here's my concern.
On the website, wheeladapters.com they show you this image saying that if there is a marking of the number 176 on your adapter then it is made in China. And that it is not true billet aluminum. That it is simply cast aluminum and that the part will fail.

So that's pretty scary.

Now I've been looking around online for vendors of the adapter type that I need. I have so far two different options.
The cheaper option is from the website MyWheelAdapters.com.
This is the product in question: (2) 2-piece 2" spacing 6x5.5 to 8x6.5 wheel adapters @ $174 for a pair of adapters
The man behind the website, named Richard, has multiple videos on youtube, where he covers common installation mistakes, and among other things showcases some of his products. (The video below is his showcase of the exact product I need, a 6x5.5 to 8x6.5 wheel adapter.) In this video you can see that this product has the 176 markings that wheeladapter.com claims as proof of parts originating from China.

Who is a guy to believe?!

6x5 5 to 8x6 5 wheel adapter spacer

Now the more expensive option is from the website airbagit.com.
This is the product in question: 6 lug to 8 lug wheel adapters @ $149 for (1) adapter
I cannot verify that this more expensive product does not also have these 176 markings on them.

Another concern I am running into. Hub-Centric adapters, or Lug-Centric Adapters?
From every source I have read online, it seems to be a unanimous agreement that Hub-Centric is the way to go.
However, neither of my two possible decisions would be hub centric for my application. as I have read online, my 1997 Tahoes hub center bore measures at 78.3 mm.
The more expensive product does not appear to even think about being hub-centric, from what the picture shows.

The mywheeladapters product apparently accommodates 108mm hubs for 1 inch until the product narrows down on the second piece of the adapter to 87 mm. Neither of which will hug the center of my hub, therefore not being a hub-centric piece.

This scares me. Should it?

I just really don't want to be one of these people with a horror story...

I'm willing to listen to any and all advice, especially that which is based off of personal experience!!!

Thanks guys...

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I haven't used wheel adapters or spacers, because they aren't legal in Pennsylvania.

However, the strength in the material had absolutely nothing to do with it being cat or billit as long as it was casted properly. T6061 would be the same either way. I don't understand why people think this is a issue, I have machined way to many castings to count.

Although, anything made in China is crap, so I would just stay away from them.

Now, I would try to find a hub centric adapter of anything.

Sent from Robl@nd