Transmission shift kit/upgrades help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to buy some tranny parts next week. I want to be able to shift manually and auto. This is going to be a street truck that doesn't really tow anything but I like the firm shifts. My old truck had a kit in it and when it shifted all I would feel is a bump without hesitation, but that was a Ford. I'd like to make my 97 4l60e the same if possible. Is there a kit that I can buy with the upgrades or can someone recommend a combination? Just trying not to buy the wrong stuff.

Truck has a stock tune with a summit performance 350, stock efi, unsure about the gears, but I assume stock.
It sees quite a bit of in town driving but I go on trips every couple of weeks on the highway at a consistent 70+. I know I'm horrible at explaining things so bear with me please

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would advise you not to spend a lot of time or money altering the shifting of a 4L60E, and I'd also advise against shifting it manually unless necessary.

4L60Es are not a strong transmission to begin with. I can tell you from experience that when you start messing with them, they don't live very long.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All i would do is billet servos, and a TransGo HD2 shift kit and get a tune for it. But then again i dont remember what PCM is in the 97s so not sure on the tune.
But if you put the HD2 in then just be easy on your separator plate hole size. Too large of a hole and the shifts are unbearable and you can break parts.
Stock Torque converter?