Transmission failure vs Torque Converter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a saying that GM designed these units to be rebuilt in your driveway. I think's that a bit too optimistic, LOL.

I'm no expert by any means. I have only rebuilt one 4L80e (still haven't installed it.) I used the rebuild kit and the training video by Transmission Bench and the ATSG manual, and watched as many videos on YT on rebuilding. Look here: https://transmissionbench.com/4L60Eparts.html
$439 for a complete overhaul kit and training video seems like a decent deal. Barring severe damage to a drum, planetaries or pump, I would just think you will need a bushing it. Edit: looks like they also include a bushing kit.

The only advice I can give is to have plenty of workspace to keep everything organized. Have a second area to clean and inspect everything, at least twice. Keep all the subassemblies together. Reassemble the subassemblies (valve body, pump, main drums, planetary gearsets) as you go along. I think taking the subassemblies apart just to see if you can get it back together with confidence is a big part of the process.

Good luck.

Last edited:

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all guys,
Erik and Stu, that's very sound advice.
I think it is high time to pull the trany out again but this time we will take it apart to check things out,
perhaps I take closeup pics and put them on here for further advice.

Last edited: