Transmission failure vs Torque Converter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please try to help me diagnose the issues I am having with my rig,
it is 1994 chevy burban with a 4L60E,
as things stand: the vehicle drive fine in all gears but as soon as it reaches standard operating temp it loses power in every gear and totally NO reverse,

what will be helpful is for someone with experience can direct me as to how to eliminate the cause to either the trany or the TC?

what lead to these issues - I dove the vehicle while she was short of ATF due to a leak from the pan gasket - has been fixed now.

Many thanks

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level (with the engine running)? How does it look and smell. Should be red with no burned smell. Losing power probably means slippage. If your a gambling man do this first.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Donald, I did that twice!
the oil is dark and smelly, the level is a bit high when checked in cold and hot mode,
what I am trying to figure out is if the failure is in the TC or trany? is there a test one can do to determine that?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think with the previous issues that you had start with checking pressures while running. Then proceed with partial tear down for pressure checks for leaks and engagement with compressed air then check the clutch plates/steels/band and clearances

seza

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem I have - Yevgenie, is that where I am in N africa, I am short of proper tools and equipment and knowhow,
I think I can order a trany rebuild kit if I know it is the trany.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem I have - Yevgenie, is that where I am in N africa, I am short of proper tools and equipment and knowhow,
I think I can order a trany rebuild kit if I know it is the trany.
Not much of special tools is really needed just to get it working. Watch some rebuild videos on 4l60e to get idea on areas to check. Air compressor for checks, otherwise screw drivers, pliers, socket set and a hammer.
I found obvious issues on my old 4l60e when tore down couple of years ago. Minimal tools used.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the Teflon sealing rings used a funnel to stretch and black electrical tape followed by hose clamp to set them in. For centering oil pump assembly used a large hose clamp to hold halfs together when tightened.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pursue rebuilding it yourself, pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to which way the lip seals in the transmission were installed when you go to replace them!

There isn't a good book or video that covers all the details you need to know. It's a matter of close inspection as you rebuild, finding what info you can, and lots of hope that you did it right. I did my rebuild last year, and I still haven't installed my 700R4 - my junkyard 700R4 is running fine and I'm not completely confident that my rebuild will run better.

Also know that a "rebuild kit" is lacking about half of the parts. I ended up buying a rebuild kit, a friction kit, a steel kit, a valve body plate, a bushing kit, and about a hundred other bits before I got my transmission rebuilt.