Transfer case np246 gmt400 gmt800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I need a transfer case for a 2dr 98 Tahoe.
I can get a np246 from a 2003 tahoe.
They look the same....but are they the same or interchangeable?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does your Tahoe have the auto traction buttons? If it did, I "think" it should be fine to swap. I'm trying to remember if anything would be different between the two...???

There's a clutchpack inside (similar to a transmission clutchpack) that engages based on wheel slippage. The 03 Tahoe should be the same spline count as your 98. What happened to yours? The oil pump tends to cut into the magnesium case ("pump rub" I think they call it?), which causes loss of fluid. There's a case saver for that, or a replacement aluminum case half.

Osteoblast

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The case seems to be fine. It just makes rattling noises like a bunch of loose bolts.
The case savers and the repair kits cost almost the same like a used one. So I just thought I swap it and check if it runs.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The case seems to be fine. It just makes rattling noises like a bunch of loose bolts.
The case savers and the repair kits cost almost the same like a used one. So I just thought I swap it and check if it runs.
Yes, that is true. I bought an 04 SUV as a project truck last year. I was under there the other day because the TC actuator wires were severed and I was trying to fix that. It looked kinda oily. I figured I would remove and rebuild the TC and take care of the pump rub issue and the little fork inserts that tend to wear out.

Ryno3

Reaction score
The rattling noise is probably the rear output bearing. Fairly easy fix parts are under $100. Failing u joint is usually the cause of the bearing failure