Trans filter oil seal delimma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a TH700/4L60 family transmission that used plain O-ring(s) on the filter. But I haven't seen every transmission GM ever made going back to '82 or '93 or whenever they started building 700s.

Either leave the original seal in place when you poke a new filter into the trans, or take the seal the hell out of there, and replace it with another.

If the original filter "fell out", it's probably an indication that the seal no longer grips the side of the filter tube. Which may mean the trans pump is pulling air around the seal lips. Which lowers trans pressure, makes funny noises, and then the transmission fails.

The trick is to get the old seal out without wrecking the hole it goes in. I use a half-round chisel and considerable care, so the bore doesn't get scarred when the seal collapses. Same principle for removing bronze bushings pressed into round holes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shoving an O-ring in to do a real seal's job is unlikely to work out well long-term. Take it apart, do it right.

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never seen a TH700/4L60 family transmission that used plain O-ring(s) on the filter. But I haven't seen every transmission GM ever made going back to '82 or '93 or whenever they started building 700s.

Either leave the original seal in place when you poke a new filter into the trans, or take the seal the hell out of there, and replace it with another.

If the original filter "fell out", it's probably an indication that the seal no longer grips the side of the filter tube. Which may mean the trans pump is pulling air around the seal lips. Which lowers trans pressure, makes funny noises, and then the transmission fails.

The trick is to get the old seal out without wrecking the hole it goes in. I use a half-round chisel and considerable care, so the bore doesn't get scarred when the seal collapses. Same principle for removing bronze bushings pressed into round holes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shoving an O-ring in to do a real seal's job is unlikely to work out well long-term. Take it apart, do it right.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another reason for the "truck pan" ,and it's dedicated filter that sits on the floor of the pan. It can't fall out. you get a sense of how snug the seal remains when installing the filter. Last couple times I've left the seal be.