Trans filter oil seal delimma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changing filter in 1991 4l60. As I removed the pan, filter came with it. Probably from the weight of oil inside filter etc. the o-ring was stlll up in hole. I tried to put up old filter back .it seemed loose. Probably why it fell so easy.
Is that o-ring up stuck in hole a combination metal rubber one, or is it just the same single rubber o-ring?
When I attempted to remove o-ring , it did not simply pop out like all the videos on YouTube. Nor does it look like it is a steal sleeve shoved in there too.
As I am removing this O-ring , it just came out in bits in pieces ??? Seems to be a steal flange there where o-ring sits in. ?? Is this correct. Was this o-ring just baked in there ??? And that’s why I had a hard time removing it as a whole. ?? Or is this o ring a metal rubber combination flanged lip seal , as described in the instructions of the filter kit I purshased. As UNDERLINED.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 8

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a thread. My problem is almost exactly like this guy described. ??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 11

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the metal sleeve, you will have to hit it on the thin lip with a sharp flathead and a hammer and collapse it. Work around it and eventually you will be able to pop it out.

The first tine I did one I thought it was going to be impossible to get it out. I've done a few since and it's not that bad...

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the metal sleeve, you will have to hit it on the thin lip with a sharp flathead and a hammer and collapse it. Work around it and eventually you will be able to pop it out.

The first tine I did one I thought it was going to be impossible to get it out. I've done a few since and it's not that bad

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I had an extra one on my parts stash, but I don't.

It's a metal sleeve with a flanged lip on one side and rubber inner part on the other end.

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I had an extra one on my parts stash, but I don't.

It's a metal sleeve with a flanged lip on one side and rubber inner part on the other end.
Thx for replies yes. Slight frustrate. Through gandering and pondering, I stuck that filter up there with another’s o-ring. O-ring is just sitting against upper sleeve and o-ring tat I chewed off. It’s like putting two o-rings but I only have one io there. That filter ain’t coming out of there. A hurricane would not budge it. There’s no way that thing filter should fall out. I’d be heading to my grave with that tranny. lol. I hope. Thx