Tranny leaking out of driveshaft yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Do you mean vented or unvented in your last statement?

I'm not sure what you're questioning....... I used both terms in my last sentence.

EDIT: to your pic above, see that groove? Looks like a cover would fit over...... I will investigate

There is no cover, there is nothing to investigate there. The slip yoke is made out of exactly two pieces of metal. The casting and the cap. If you have a non-vented yoke, the cap needs to be sealed. Apparently, you have a leak there. Just seal it up with silicone, since your slip yoke is supposed to be un-vented.

Edit: The cap is the round piece that has the hole in it, in the picture I posted...... I realize cap and cover could sound like the same thing. You'll want to silicone the area where the cap and casting comes together, which probably won't be obvious to use until you get yours cleaned up.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
its its not vented nothing can get by end of story, so if yours isnt vented you cant have a leak at the slipyoke unless by some chance your slipyoke is screwed and is cracked or something.

The cap could be leaking, which I suspect is the case. The cap is the disk with the hole in it, in the picture I posted. The casting is machined in such a way that there is a lip that gets peened over, and holds the cap. It's supposed to form a seal, but apparently it may not hold forever.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're questioning....... I used both terms in my last sentence.

There is no cover, there is nothing to investigate there. The slip yoke is made out of exactly two pieces of metal. The casting and the cap. If you have a non-vented yoke, the cap needs to be sealed. Apparently, you have a leak there. Just seal it up with silicone, since your slip yoke is supposed to be un-vented.

Edit: The cap is the round piece that has the hole in it, in the picture I posted...... I realize cap and cover could sound like the same thing. You'll want to silicone the area where the cap and casting comes together, which probably won't be obvious to use until you get yours cleaned up.

If you have a vented yoke that's leaking, you have an issue with the transmission/transfer-case.

That statement. It was the last one before you edited it. It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, you said that the cap has a hole in it? There is no hole..... I'll try to get a picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
best bet is to inspect the yoke for bushing and seal wear and replace those if ncesaryy, as well as replacing the yoke and getting the driveshaft straightened and rebalanced.