Tranny leaking out of driveshaft yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello boys,

I have a leak from my driveshaft yoke

Pic below

So it isn't leaking from the transfer case, it's coming out through the slip yoke at the u joint. The picture shows how the u joint is flinging the tranny fluid in a circular direction, all over the under carriage and exhaust

Now I know most people will jump out and say "there's a little hole in the slip yoke"

This is NOT the case, my slip yoke is unvented. Some slip yokes do have a little hole for venting, but mine does not have this. I believe the slip yoke is leaking somewhere else but I'm not sure where.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Here is an article, somewhat related to vented slip yokes, but mine doesn't have a hole

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/yokeleak.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think there are 2 seals in the end of the transmission.

Take a look at the cap in the end of the slip yoke. Does it look like the metal is nicely peened over the cap?

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which metal? Like the thing that should have a hole in it? I have a feeling it's coming through there aswell

You mean transfer case right?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure its not just leaking past the seal and forming drops on your u-joint, then flinging off when you drive?

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Replace the seal, easily done. Your yoke may have a groove worn in it. They have seals that changes the rub area.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure its not just leaking past the seal and forming drops on your u-joint, then flinging off when you drive?

Nah it's leaking at the end of the yoke by the u joint. It is 100% dry elsewhere

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace the seal, easily done. Your yoke may have a groove worn in it. They have seals that changes the rub area.

Which seal? Output shaft seal? I have to remove the yoke right? So the whole driveshaft

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which seal? Output shaft seal? I have to remove the yoke right? So the whole driveshaft

Yes, output shaft seal. Super easy, drop shaft and yoke slides out. Pry out old seal and replace. Use a block of wood and a hammer, some use silicone on the metal to metal parts, some use grease, some nothing. Put a light coat of grease on rubber and replace shaft.

While the shaft is out I would inspect to see if the yoke is grooved or damaged. If it is leaking out the end then thats a first for me, maybe a flaw in the weld or it's cracked. If its a hole I might JB weld it to seal it up, if its cracked then junkyard another one. Clean it up and throw up some pics, I would like to see just what it looks like.

Only makes sense to put new u-joints in as well.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like its leaking out of the pinhole at the back of the yoke. If that's the case, pull the drive shaft, clean the inside of the yoke real good with carb or brake cleaner, then put about 3 teaspoons of silicone in the yoke. Stuff some paper towel down with a screwdriver to push it all to the back of the yoke.