Tranny leaking out of driveshaft yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like its leaking out of the pinhole at the back of the yoke. If that's the case, pull the drive shaft, clean the inside of the yoke real good with carb or brake cleaner, then put about 3 teaspoons of silicone in the yoke. Stuff some paper towel down with a screwdriver to push it all to the back of the yoke.

Mine was leaking from there also. If i remember right there is a metal cap that plugs the hole so what I did to fix this was i pulled the driveshaft off the truck cleaned the area as best as I could and covered the area up with JB weld. Worked very well.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah transaver makes a little cap that is supposed to seal it up but we've had a lot come back after a few months still leaking. using JB weld or silicone is usually permanent

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
pull the driveshaft check for wear on the slip yoke that could be a bad seal and or bushing, if thats the case then youll need to clean the slip yoke or replace it. also some slip yokes have a small breather at the end, silicon it or weld it shut.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll take pictures. What the heck, there's a cover over the pinhole. .??

Anyone who has pics ? Or a parts diagram

I thought there were two styles, vented (with a hole) and unvented (no hole). Will investigate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So there's a chance my slip yoke is vented or unvented. I'll just have to try to pry the cover off

Anyone have any parts diagrams? I want to make sure before I start scoring stuff

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So there's a chance my slip yoke is vented or unvented. I'll just have to try to pry the cover off

Anyone have any parts diagrams? I want to make sure before I start scoring stuff

Pry what off? There should be no prying on your slip yoke. If there is a hole, it's vented, if no hole, it's not vented. If you have a vented yoke that's leaking, you have an issue with the transmission/transfer-case.

This is vented........ unvented would look the same, but no hole.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you mean vented or unvented in your last statement?

I have an unvented yoke, no hole, and there is fluid leaking at the u joint

It is impossible for fluid to be leaking at the transfer case, there is no evidence of a leak there. It is bone dry, trust me, I would be able to distinguish a bad tc seal. There is something wrong with the yoke near the u joint. Even the mating surface between the yoke and transfer case is bone dry with zero evidence of leaking

EDIT: to your pic above, see that groove? Looks like a cover would fit over...... I will investigate

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
its its not vented nothing can get by end of story, so if yours isnt vented you cant have a leak at the slipyoke unless by some chance your slipyoke is screwed and is cracked or something.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something funny is happening. I was surprised when I saw no hole......