TPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working on an old 1994 Silverado 5.7 TBI. I had an check engine light (code 21) that pointed to a bad TPS. Supposedly a good TPS should show less than .74 volts at idle (no pedal) and gradually rise to 5 volts at full throttle. I've now installed two different replacement parts that show good at idle and only 2.5 volts at full throttle. Am I measuring something wrong or missing something?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't remember the pin out off the top of my head but one of the wires is the 5-volt reference from the computer. The other two are a ground and the one that sends voltage back to the computer to determine throttle position. If your ground is crud or your 5 volt reference is screwed up then you will get a bad signal back to the computer.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What TPS did you buy? The cheap house brands do not work correctly.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you getting a correct 5-volt reference from the computer?

What TPS did you buy? The cheap house brands do not work correctly.
I am getting a good 5v reference signal. At idle the TPS signal is where it should be. Working the throttle linkage the return signal climbs smoothly up to 2.5v at full throttle, exactly half of what it should be. I'm not getting a CEL. It was a cheap brand from a local parts store, so that might be the issue. I guess I need to pick up an OEM unit for comparison.