Too high of voltage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
1996 k1500 5.7 with 15 volts reading on voltage gauge.
Is this okay or something to worry about
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check it with a voltage gauges. Mine reads 16 all the time and means 14. These are glorified dummy lights, don't take them too seriously.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the state of charge in the battery. Directly after cranking it is normal. Once the battery has recovered the voltage should come down a volt or 2.
I also agree that it may not be accurate either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say you're right on. Mine reads 14 after start up and then around 13 once the battery is topped off.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Mine, according to a volt meter as well as a bluetooth OBD2 reader (smartphone interface), on a brand new 140 amp alternator...... starts out around 14.1 and drops back to around 13.3ish. If I'm running both rear and front fans, 13.1 is not uncommon. I actually don't think this is what it should be, and my previous alternator (same 140 amp crap from Autozone) would drop as low as 12.4 on an old battery, 12.8 on a new battery. Neither was good so I warrantied it out, and the new on is what I have now that will sometimes get down to 13.1.

If you actually are throwing 15.0 volts but not much higher, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. I've had other GM's (admittedly very different systems) that ran 14.8, 14.9 for years.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about at all. Mine does that frequently when started from cold, and especially when cold started in the winter. Just the battery recovering from the draw of the starter.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a issue at all. My power master 150 am stays right at 14.8 with just truck running and when i put a load on it, whether its compressors or stereo drops to 14.1 and thats on the digital read out of a glowshift gauge and matches my digital on my capacitor. i checked at battery one time and it was the same.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Well thanks guys

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk