To adjust, or not to adjust... That is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I've been turning my head at my slightly leaking valve covers for quite some time now. I know, TBI with leaking valve covers, strange. Well anyway, I remembered the other day that I have a set of polished valve covers in my buddies garage, that came off of an old TBI 305 I had many years ago. So, I'm gonna throw them on the Yukon this week. I need some opinions, however. I've been thinking whether or not to adjust my valves while I'm in there. The motor has 200xxx miles on it, but damn it she runs strong. And I'm quite particular about keeping her tuned up properly, even if I have been ignoring those valve cover gaskets. There is zero lifter, nor rocker tap. Truck runs smooth, no problem. Should I adjust my valves? One thing that concerns me, is that I've heard of these TBIs actually pulling the rocker arm studs out, when they get adjusted with heavy miles on them. So, if it was your truck, how many of you guys would adjust the valves anyway, just because you would be in there?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch um. With that many miles I'd say don't fix what isn't broken.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Boggles my mind why anyone would wonder about adjusting valves if they're quiet.

Replace the valve cover gaskets, carefully tighten the bolts, and be done. They're not exactly known for leaking by design, probably they're just ancient or the bolts are loose.

Richard

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. My buddies dad is kind of old school, and was trying to talk me into it. I've owned 21 vehicles personally in my life, and believe it or not, 18 of those had sbc in them. I've adjusted the valves on a few sbc, but that was usually after a fresh rebuild. I was a technician by trade for awhile, although it's been many years since being in a shop was actually my profession. Certain overhead Japanese makes actually require valve adjustments at mileage intervals, and they run like s@%! If they don't get that adjustment. So I guess I was letting my buddies dad get in my head a little, and allowing me to consider something that I should already know better than to touch. Thanks for talking me out of it, guys!